General Beware of Be Wiser Insurance!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Red Rocket, Sunday 25th Sep, 2016.

1. Red Rocket Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So, just back from hols and in amongst the usual post holiday bills and junk mail is my insurance renewal for my 2002 Type-R EP3.
    My current insurer, Be Wiser, were chosen last year as they provided the cheapest insurance for my previous car ( Hyundai Coupe SE ) and a nominal sum was charged to change the policy when I bought the Type-R. So we're looking at around £240 for fully comp.

Go on then, guess my renewal quote................................................. £417!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm sure that my forehead doesn't have a "****" tattoo on it!

Two things I'd like to point out here.
    Firstly this company did exactly the same thing to my wife. Cheap first year on her Merc SL250 Sport, then more than double on the second year. They also took into account her 18 years of no claims on her company car ( which she no longer has ) but on the renewal wouldn't accept it, saying it was a special offer for the first year. Yeah right!
    Secondly, I'm not some 19 year old with my baseball cap on back to front with a cherry bomb exhaust and 30mm lowered shocks ( no offence if you are :chav: )
    I'm 59 years old this November, have 9 years no claims on this policy, a clean licence and the car is absolutely standard. What's more I also own a 2002 Jaguar XKR 4.2 supercharged V8 which costs me under £187 a year fully comp.

So what the fffff....... is going on?

I see Be Wiser posters all over the place telling us how cheap they are. BE WARNED - DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY RENEW WITH THESE CROOKS!!

I've renewed with Autonet, who also insure my truck, online, no fuss - £209 fully comp and I'm covered for driving to work and my wife driving as well.
    :jumpup:

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Excessive 2nd year, but that's how many insurers behave nowadays.
    Pleased you've found a more realistic provider. :Niceone:

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Unfortunately I now find that I need to move insurer at each renewal to get the best deal. There is no reward for loyalty, but there is a hefty surcharge!

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Yep. That's the case 99% of the time. Loyalty sucks and in today's era of disposable cars, companies are chasing more interested in chasing new sign ups rather than keeping old ones happy.

Zebster likes this.
  5. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    My insurance is £1500 plus on each car

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Ouch!

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Lol wow that's really aweful. And I thought me paying £1350 in first year as a driver on my 1.0 Yaris from 1999 was bad.

8. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I been driving since 2009 and hold a clean licence but it's my area. Lowest insurance i held was on a 2001Zafira, around £800.

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    This is standard procedure to be honest, and not a 'scam' per se, your meant to phone up and negotiate. 2 years ago I paid 340 for my premium, the renewal was £850, I switched insurers and got it for £550, this year my renewal was £550, I negotiated with the insurer and got it down to around £320. So always negotiate...

10. Red Rocket Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wow guys, I think I should count myself lucky looking at your premiums! Benefits of being older I suppose. :wheelchair:

I was young once. " During the war...." No, seriously, it's not a new thing being conned by insurers, of course not. When I was 18 ( in 1975 ) I was offered by my mate, a Mini Cooper. A proper one, not one of those oversized German lorries. He wanted £150 for it, which I could just about afford. I rang around lots of insurers, most of whom wouldn't insure me because it was a Cooper ( not even a Cooper S ). I finally got a quote from one single insurer......£1200.
    Probably doesn't sound too bad now, but in 1975 my ANNUAL wage, in a good job in the fledgling computer industry, was £863 before tax!
    So basically 18 months salary to insure a Mini.
    Anyway, my point was really to make sure you guys were aware as it's so easy to fall into the trap of auto renewal. Clearly you're all on the ball! :sherlock: