Off-Topic Beware Of Car Buying Scams / Fake Emails

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by daveaw339, Wednesday 25th Jul, 2012.

1. daveaw339 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    Just let you know I was nearly conned in a car buying scam, they offer you around the full asking price with £500 / 500 Euro's extra to cover the cost of the courier that they say will pick up the car and deal with signing the paperwork.
    How it works is they say that they will pay you through Paypal, and the money that they have transferred is held pending, until you pay the £500 up front using Western Union (I phoned Paypal this morning to ask about any payment pending and there wasn't one, if there was it would show the amount that you offered and paid), as soon as this is done they say the money will then be cleared, it's not, it's a con, and this con as been going on for sometime now, and the money is usually sent to Nigeria, the money that they wanted of me was heading to the Ukraine.
    If anyone is thinking of selling their car and advertise it on Auto Trader and you use an email address on the advert just be wary off emails from someone with poor English writing skills. or emails from gmail.com.
    DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SELL YOUR CAR THROUGH PAYPAL AS YOU ARE NOT COVERED BY THEM.

Ichiban likes this.
  2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good advice, if something seems too good to be true then it usually is. The question to ask is why would a company pay me £500 more for my car than its actually worth?

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Someones moving my posts lol....

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    When I sell a car I only accept cash or bankers drafts if paid on the day. If they want to do a bank transfer or cheque it must clear first. Golden rule: if I haven't got your cash you're not getting my car. No exceptions!

Good heads up on the scam though!