Suspension, Steering and Brakes Big brakes

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by chris2982, Friday 10th Jul, 2015.

1. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I remember a good few years ago when I had a 6th Generation fiesta. A quick and easy way to up the brakes was by getting the larger brakes off a certain model of mondeo and they would be a straight bolt on. . . Going from 240mm to 300mm I think..

Is there something like this that can be done on my FR-V that any of you know of or have tried??

2. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I looked into this a while ago and you can use accord Type-R calipers. But those will all be 15 years old now and I just don't like the idea of using them.You can get them refurbished but finding these calipers can be tricky. .I've heard people talk about using 8th Generation accord calipers, can't remember which exact model but these are not easy to get used either! Depending on the size of your alloys you may need to get bigger ones to accommodate a larger caliper/rotors.

I'll be interested to see responses from more knowelgable people.

I ended up getting yellow stuff pads and they are better than OEM but braking is still inadequate. I've noticed the yellow stuff pads don't perform as well if you don't clean your wheels often.

3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

thanks for the imput. I am putting 18s on so hopefully won't be any problems with space.
    will have a look into the Type-R calipers :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    been having a bit of a search and found this
    D2 Big Brake Kits HONDA FR-V

bit pricey for me

garf8v likes this.
  4. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

That is a nice looking kit. Way too pricey for me as well, however as big brake kits go I think that is fairly reasonable.

8th Generation accord calipers would be better than ATR, although they won't be cheap brand new. Hopefully someone can chime in and mention the exact 8th Generation model and then you can try searching eBay.

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    don't know if the Type-R calipers would fit. @Ichiban may be able to answer that one for you

6. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can I join the list of wanting to find how to improve the braking on my FR-V's?

I thought of using braided lines to replace the rubber ones at first, but it seems more like the master cylinder doesn't hold a firm pedal.
    Is there a better master cylinder to use? or a different sized one perhaps? It gets a bit too technical for me/lack of time to investigate(children!)
    Thanks

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Whoever's closest to me and has a FR-V - I don't mind coming across and whipping the calipers/carriers off to compare to my '07 at some point. If they'll fit, that means CH1 (Accord Type-R) and CU2 (8th Generation) will too.

As @DieselPower mentioned, I wouldn't rely on 15 year old ATR calipers these days, if they're fully rebuilt or blueprints parts there's no issue - but what it would mean is that the whole world of Accord BBKs opens up to FR-V owners.

What I can't really test is for the other popular OEM upgrades like DC5 (2-Pot) and Legend/RL (4-Pot).

chris2982 likes this.
  8. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

8th Generation would be my preferred option.

@garf, I think most modern brakes have some kind of servo assist after the master to apply more force, perhaps this is the issue, we need a bigger assist.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The ones you're talking about are from the 2.4 CU2, they only ever sold a couple of hundred in the country so finding them from breakers is hard.

...but you could buy new from Honda, I happen to know they're only over £1200 on the calipers alone :Laughing:

10. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ouch! That's more expensive than the FR-V bug brake kit linked to by Chris!

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yep, hence why there needs to be some other solution found :Laughing:

chris2982 likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Guys I've got a spare set of CL9 calipers in the shed. When I get round to having a look at the front brakes on my FR-V/Edix, I will remove a caliper at test fit the CL9 calipers.

If the CL9 calipers fit then the ATR calipers will also fit.

chris2982 and DeviateDefiant like this.
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

...I forgot you had the Edix sitting outside :Laughing:

Yep, I'm not travelling anywhere now :Icecream:

14. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Without sounding completely stupid what is a CL9. . And are the calipers from it going to be easier to find, cheaper, or a newer alternative? ?

15. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

OK , , little bit of searching .. CL9 is 8th generation accord??? does the engine size have any affect or are the all the same fitment?? 300mm??
    - - - Updated - - -
    2003 to 2008 models??

16. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    CL9 is a 2.4 7th Generation accord mate. Hover your mouse over the CL9 and it will tell you what it stands for

17. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

was on my Tabley so didn't spot the mouse hovering bit.
    - - - Updated - - -
    tablet

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes, what I was suggesting was that if the 7th Generation Accord ones fit then that will mean that the 8th Generation Accord and also the Accord Type-R ones would also fit.

Im very intrigued now myself to see if they do, so may actually get round to check this out soon :Grin:

DeviateDefiant and chris2982 like this.
  19. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Mmm, those are nice looking sets though lol.

In fairness to the OE brakes, I thought the same until I had one of those oh shit moments. I had a car full and had to do an E stop and although the pedal was soft, depressing it hard brought the car to a very quick stop in damp, no skid of judder from the ABS and pulled up very quickly ina straight line. I was impressed. Which is more than I can say for the tractor on the wrong side of the road around a blind bend trimming the hedges!!

So, all id say before forking out loads is that I think they are up to the job. Maybe fitting braided hoses may take away some of the sponginess, and a higher boiling point fluid and some upgraded pads might help.

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd imagine they're perfect for most people on decent pads and fluid as @Bones126 suggests. But lots of people like having killer stopping power from their brakes.

Nighthawk and Bones126 like this.