Engine & Gearbox bigend brearing blown after 50.000 miles is this normal??

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by frenchconnection, Friday 12th Oct, 2012.

1. frenchconnection New Member Getting Started

Hi the main bearing on my accord tourer 2008 apparently disintergrated after 50,000 miles the garage seem to think this is normal although i don't agree. they want £11,000 to fix the problem! does anyone esle think this is a normal promblem for a car of this age and milage?? im not very happy to say the least

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How have you managed that , low on oil or have you over revved you engine?

3. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    11k to fix it? They're pulling your tail!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would not be surprised that is an accurate figure to rebuild the entire bottom end, there must be more damage than just a blown big end bearing.

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm sure replacement engine from Honda is around 12.5k.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    ^^ plus labour too .. what the OP need to give more info how this has happened what have the dealers told him how this has happened?

without this it pure speculation.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    As IchibanAccord says how did this happen ? Was the engine run without oil (or low on oil), was it over revved ?

Or is the route cause unknown ? If it's unknown you want want to know the root cause was, otherwise it's pointless paying any money for an engine rebuild.

Which engine is this on petrol or diesel ?

8. hondavtecr Trader

Chris Manchester
    Its got to be a diesel engine surely. 50k is no mileage at all. Im guessing oil starvation and if the dealers are giving a quote of 11k they must think its the customer at fault.

9. frenchconnection New Member Getting Started

the car had just had a 50,000 mile service everything was normal before and after the service, then 4km down the road from the garage (honda maindealer) bang. this all happend in france, the warranty people transported the car back to the uk then informed us that the warranty is void due to the car missing a service at 37,000 miles although this service had been crossed out in the service book and us being told it did not need the service hence why it was crossed out. the dealer in the uk where the car has been since may will not even give us a full diagnostics of what is exactly wrong with the car, which i find very strange. we had no prior warning ie no oil lights came on or engine management lights it just happened.

10. hondavtecr Trader

Chris Manchester
    It seems like your being kept in the dark about what has gone wrong with your car. Have you tried ringing Honda Uk about this?

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You need to stop speaking to front line staff and speak to the service manager and ask for the technical reason to this so called malfunction, report back and let see what happens.

It would seem the dealer is not being upfront with you, provided your side of the story is legit.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds