Aftermarket Kit Bike Carriers

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Navrig, Friday 13th Nov, 2015.

1. Navrig Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    I've got the 4th generation CR-V and am looking for a couple of bike carriers to fit on the Thule bars I recently bought.

A friend has a couple of these: Elite Sanremo Race Lock Bicycle Carrier: lockable roof top carrier | Elite-IT

They work well but are very much suited to roof bars which can be moved on the roof rails, The CR-V mountings for the cross bars are fixed points meaning that the bars are at a set distance apart.

Has anyone used these on their CR-V and generally was it easy to attach bikes with slight variations in wheel base?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone on here who could help @Navrig ?

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I use Thule Proride 591's on the Accord and don't have any complaints. They can be fitted with locks and/or the One Key System but general online opinion is the locks aren't all that worthwhile, although I still use them but wouldn't leave the car/bike in a dodgy area.

Ichiban likes this.
  4. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I have Thule Freeride 530 carriers. Decent enough but I'd prefer the Thule Proride 591 that @AndyB1976 has.

I get some wheel wobble from the bikes at speed - not sure this would happen with Proride.

As for different wheel bases, most bike carriers have small sliding bases that the wheels sit on and are adjustable to fit adult bikes and kids bikes.

5. Navrig Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    I am quite well acquainted with the Thule carriers but am specifically interested in the Elite two piece carries linked in my OP.

At some point the wind and rain will stop and I will be able to go and check things in real life by borrowing my friend's carrier but meantime if anyone has use these on the CR-V let me know your experience.

Cheers :Smile:

6. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    I recently bought a pair of Honda cross bars for my 2015 CR-V because I wanted bars that best matched the CR-V rails and to be honest, I'm a little disappointed with them.
    1/ They are satin black (I was kind of hoping they'd be silver like the roof rails).
    2/ They curve (which means the mounted Thule 598 bike rack I've added causes my bike to lean outwards).
    3/ The cross bar mounting bolts are left exposed (no trim clips or even bolt caps to disguise or hide the bolt heads to help deter potential thieves)
    4/ They are channelled on top, so you can mount fittings that use a T bar fixing methodology (didn't realise this before the bars arrived and so ended up buying a fitting kit for the Thule bike carrier that I didn't eventually need), then the open channel is covered with a clip in strip rubber insert.

I'm sent Honda a note expressing my dissatisfaction and am currently awaiting feedback from Bracknell.

BTW - the 598 fits just fine and the rear wheel of my bike sits about 3" in front of the open tailgate, so clearance isn't a problem. The difficulty is lifting the bike that high (suggest a strap around front wheel and tube to keep the steering aligned straight ahead), and securing it in place (made easier with the 598 remote fixing control).
    - - - Updated - - -
    Wanted to add this but the edit window expired:

I'm 6' tall and fairly fit, but I wouldn't recommend putting bikes on the roof of the CR-V if you're much shorter than that or can't hold an upright bike above your head by its down tube and forks.

Attached Files:

7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm same and find the Accord just within easy reach if I lift by the front forks and seat tube.

I saw someone once with another SUV type who took out a small step to gain a bit of height, looked like he screwed it together in his shed. You could maybe try one of those folding steps as a last resort.

8. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The height thing is a bit of a pain (especially if I happen to drop the bike on the glass roof), but it'll hopefully deter possible bike thieves.
    It's why I mounted the bike rack on the offside.
    lol

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've thought about using some kind of chain or lock between the bike frame and crossbar so they'll need to start cutting or remove the crossbar and bike and carrier as one.

10. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Gettingback to Navrig's question, the Elite website states (contrary to Navrig's comment) that particular bike carrier is:
    'Recommended for those with a fixed distance between the roof rack bars and have transport bicycles and of different sizes and shapes'.
    My guess then is that like the Thule carriers, the Elite rack fixings can be set indepedently to the bike fixings.
    So with an advertising statement like that, if it doesn't work, there shouldn't be any problem taking it back for a refund