Body, Paint & Styling Bike racks on rear door of HR-V

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Joe Farndon, Monday 2nd Jun, 2014.

1. Joe Farndon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Joe
    Hi all,

Can anybody advise about fitting a rear door mounted bike rack to a Honda HR-V ? I am asking as there appear to be two issues. Firstly, the top of the rear door seems to have the rear window glass as the leading edge which would carry the two top straps holding the rack. The second possible issue is that the bottom of the rear door seems to be made of plastic and is where the two bottom bike rack straps should attach. Are these two points strong enough and rigid enough to carry a bike rack ? If anybody has experience of fitting such a bike rack, I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Joe

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. Any chance you could post some photos of the problem.

3. Joe Farndon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Joe
    I will try to, but as I am travelling right now it might take a while. Have you fitted such a rack to a HR-V ?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

No sorry I haven't myself no. I was just thinking adding pictures would help people understand the issue better.

Can you not post pictures direct from you mobile into this thread ?

5. Joe Farndon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Joe
    Yes I could if I had the HR-V with me, but it is elsewhere, so pics maybe later. I guess I am hoping somebody with a HR-V might have considered this situation already and perhaps can advise in advance of a need for pics.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Oh right OK. Let's see if anyone can offer you any advice then.

7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Hi Joe

I don't have a HR-V but personally I wouldn't risk it. Obviously depending on your photo's and style of rack then maybe someone would have tried it and had success but from a 6th Generation owner I've had issues with the rear racks.

I had this halfords one with the foam rollers at the bottom http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_251011_langId_-1_categoryId_165477.

As I clip onto the metal saloon boot and tow hook I tension the straps to the maximum but with the lack of a rear bumper lip on the 6th Generation (compare to the lip in the halfords photo) it simply rolled down with the weight of one bike when I was travelling, which caused the front fork to bounce and hit the spoiler and the bumper was also damaged with partially melted roller foam from the friction.

Lets consider an average bike weight of (guess) 15kgs. That is hanging of the end of the rack (or strap) directly onto glass. When travelling you also have wind resistance pushing on it and then lumpy road conditions which still load and compress the straps no matter how hard you pull them when setting up. Add one or two more bikes and thats a lot of load on two main clips. I see the plastic door bottom you mention on an image below, so again load on plastic might not hold up very well.

Here is a photo of the lack of rear bumper lip and why I'd advise not to get the particular style of rack (6th Generation specifically however will be applicable to any other car). So consider both depth of lip and angle.

IMAG0950.

...and the damage to the spoiler

IMAG0948.

HR-V Rear lip and door

HondaHRV_2.

hrv.

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be honest I wouldn't want to try putting a rack on the back of my HR-V as you have stated the upper part of the tail lift is the rear windscreen and the bottom is plastic I think you would struggle to secure the straps.
    Have you considered roof bars I'm almost certain I've seen an HR-V with crossbars fitted to the roof.ill have a search.

9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

11. Joe Farndon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Joe
    Hi folks,

Thanks for the continued advice. We are getting close to a solution, which looks like using a bike rack attached to the rear door, but using adapters on the upper straps (those straps that would normally clip to the top of the rear door), where the strap goes through the adaptor (which is really just a hard roll of plastic), the strap and adaptor are then put over the top of the door to rest inside the car, the door is then closed on the strap and the strap is then pulled back through the door frame to lodge the 'adaptor against the closed door/doorframe. This solution came as an option, for glass leading edge doors, with the bike rack. That should take care of the top straps, but the solution for the bottom straps (the bottom of the rear door being unsuitable plastic) will be to fit a tow bar (I will need the lighting connections for the necessary lighting board) and to attach the bottoms straps to that tow bar.

So nearly there with a solution. But we haven't done it yet so any more advice will be welcome.

Joe

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can't you get a rack that fits the tow bar?

13. Joe Farndon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Joe
    Yes, I could get a tow bar rack, and that's still an option. I already had the door mount rack, so would prefer to use it if possible.

MickyB likes this.
  14. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just wondering if you managed to get the rack fitted. Would really like to know because we have just bought ourselves some bikes and next to stripping off the front wheels and pedals, turning the handlebars to get them into the back of our HR-V was considering fitting a rack. So if you've found a solution I would like to know. Cheers

15. Joe Farndon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Joe
    Progress so far is we are able to fit straps to the top of the rear door, with its glass leading edge, buy using plastic blocks through which the top straps thread and then the straps go right inside the car and feed out between the door and door frame, jamming against the door frame when the door is closed. This option (the plastic blocks) came as an option with the bike rack. The bottom straps, which we do jot wish to fit to the bottom of the door (that being plastic), we intend to attach to a tow bar, which seems to be the only sensible solution, given we already have the door mounted bike rack. The tow bar fitter comes to view the car on Thursday, so I hope the solution works, but see no reason why it should not work. Hope that helps. Joe