Suspension, Steering and Brakes Binding brakes?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Merk1981, Tuesday 23rd Feb, 2016.

1. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I noticed a squeaking noise from my front nearside wheel today. It speeds up when I accelerate but stops when I brake. The car feels a little heavy. I put this down to a full tank of fuel at first but the noise has got me wondering if my brake is binding. It also smells hot.
    Any advice welcome.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Is it binding, or the wear indicator?

Auto Ali and Merk1981 like this.
  3. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom david mee mansfield notts
    Take the car for a short run then check if one disc is warmer than the other (don,t burn your finger) if it is you have either a sticky caliper or the sliders on the caliper carrier may be siezing. It may all so be rust under the stainless steel carrier shims people tend not to remove these and clean the rust off underneath this rust leads to the pads locking in the carrier. Hope this helps.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just another clue, On a good straight road let go off the steering and see if the car wanders to one side if it does it is another indicator you have a sticky brake.(assuming your tyre pressures are correct).

Auto Ali, Nels and Merk1981 like this.
  4. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a new set of pads about 18 months / 15k miles ago so I hope not. Would the noise also get worse when braking due to wear? The noise stops when I brake.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I didn't touch it but the disk in question was definitely giving off more heat after my drive home. I'll give the straight road trick a try tomorrow although I didn't notice a pull to one side when driving. It felt more like I was carrying a heavy load.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks for the replies so far. I was just looking at treating myself to Galaxy S7 and now I'm thinking I'd better hold off until I know I'm not going to be giving the garage my money instead.:thumbdown:

5. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom david mee mansfield notts
    Hi i would still go for rust being the culprit here. wet weather and salt can soon get in to brakes certainly within 15k. it could be the pads are not backing off enough and are just catching causing noise and when you brake it it clears it.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ps wait for the I phone 7

Auto Ali likes this.
  6. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, the noise disappeared by itself overnight. I've put it down to a bit of grit.

Auto Ali likes this.
  7. kwacker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom kwacker Liverpool
    I have just had the very same problem. It turned out to be a binding caliper. New caliper and brake hose fitted. £220, sorted....

8. Auto Ali Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ali London
    I had a similar problem, screeching noise from the driver rear side,thought it was the wear indicator but pads looked good, took it to mechanic mate ,
    thanks @motorbikelover cleaned the rust from brackets replaced the Carrier shims ( well' he did so no pics sorry next time when he does the front) got my car back , and no more screeching:jumpup: