Off-Topic Binky the mini resto

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by RobsyUK, Friday 18th Mar, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Does anyone else here admire the project binky guys at mad obsession motorsports?

I was told about them when they were only on episode 4 and I can't wait to see the end results.

The task is to put all of the running gear from a Toyota celica and put it in a mini.

It really is amazing what they do and even building new tools to help with the project.

Have a read here if you have never heard of them
    Project Binky – Bad Obsession Motorsport

And if you are already moist and want to start watching it:

Nighthawk, legend-ary and SpeedyGee like this.
  2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I have actually been following them from episode 1. the stuff they are doing is mad and doesn't make sense in any way but that is why I like them. They like to cut stuff they just made quite a lot :Grin:
    Last update was a few months ago which is annoying specially since all the running gear is already in

3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Damn.... I've just binge watched the first 6 episodes.... fascinating to see how it comes along. Can't wait to see how it pans out.

EDIT:
    OK... watched 11 episodes and there's no 12.... last one was Dec....

I want more... this project is looking mental.

Also... if I win the lottery... I'm hiring these guys to turn a Mazda MX6 into a RWD beast/

Last edited: Friday 18th Mar, 2016
    RobsyUK and legend-ary like this.
  4. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

If you follow them on Facebook you'll see episode 12 is days away!
    The thing that amazes me is how they preempt everything.

They cut x because they knew 10 episodes later they needed access.

5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I hate the entire project, but I absolutely love the two guys and their talents/humour.

Nik is a serious fabricator, and watching their videos is always great for seeing how other people tackle certain issues or approach tasks, always good to get an insight in to how others go about their projects.

Just think the Binky is going to be a bit of an abortion when it is finished.

legend-ary likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I love how certain peeps can come up with a cardboard stencil for some part, transfer that on to a sheet of metal, cut and bent the sheet and come up with a perfect piece !

@PeteMM Am I right in saying that once you've mastered that skill you on go through the process once to get a perfect piece ? Ie there's no repeating of the process as the piece wasn't quite right ?

7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    That is ideally what happens, realistically, it will never be perfect, but experience tells you where to leave extra material or when not to put in sharp bends etc too early in the process, hopefully resulting in what appears to be a single easily made piece with very little effort.

Unfortunately, this doesn;t work all the time

Nighthawk and SpeedyGee like this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    So, after having a midday nap meaning that I stayed up for the rest of the night, I had a marathon watch from episode 2 all the way to episode 11. What an amazing build. Look forward to them actually getting the engine up and running. They mess around a lot, some of the jokes are pretty funny, but they really seem to know what they are doing.

Its taken 3 years for them to make 11 episodes so it will be quite a wait till its done I think

legend-ary likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

They are planning to run Binky at Goodwood FOS 2016 so pace should pick up. But haha yeah I know what you mean .. I watched the whole lot in a very short amount of time and I think Nick is really really good at the work he does. Tea and Biscuit time is always funny.

10. Nighthawk Guest

The level of fabrication he does is fantastic. Very talented.

My heart bleeds however when they go back to the GT-Four. Its an amazing machine and I would have rather restored that

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I actually did the same the other night @Nighthawk watched all 11 Episodes, unfortunately though as the wife and baby were fast asleep and I didn't have my earphones to hand I actually watched all the Episodes with the sound turned OFF ! :Frown:

Still impressive stuff though.

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I think a big reason why the project is taking this long is because they wanted to keep the original wheelbase of the mini. Their jig for the car is pretty amazing too.. the ease with which they slide the engine back and forth and align is just sweet.

RobsyUK and Nighthawk like this.
  13. Nighthawk Guest

That rig is fantastic - amazing engineering. I didnt realise that they are actually rally and co driver who have driven in rallies for years together.

@SpeedyGee - you need to watch it again with sound bud. The jokes they use and the explanations are really pretty good.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes, for sure, planning on watching it on the TV.

legend-ary and Nighthawk like this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Just seen that a new episode has been posted

Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.
  16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Yay! :jumpy:Didn't realise so thanks for that. Looks like everyone is hooked :Niceone:

17. Nighthawk Guest

Saw that the other day. That exhaust build is amazing

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I haven't actually watched it yet, was really tired last night so called it day quite early.

19. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Two and a half years for a 1 half hour episode. That's insane.

I love it though

20. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team