Body, Paint & Styling Bird Poop Disaster!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by gouldy68, Monday 13th Aug, 2012.

1. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cannot believe it!

Just washed my car and removed some bird poop, which had been on the car for less than a week, and it's etched itself into the clear coat. I am proper p£$@ed off as i've only had the car for a couple of weeks. Anyone know the best way to get rid of the marks? I really don't want to have to respray as it's both the bonnet and the wing that are affected.

I know it's my own fault for not cleaning it ASAP, but the bl**y council need to cut down the sodding tree outside my house with branches that overhang our property.

SOOOOO ANGRY!!!!!!!!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I hate bird droppings they are nasty pieces of work. Can you get a picture of the affected area? Once the acid has burnt the clear coat there is nothing but a respray which will fix it. No amount of polishing or buffing will cure that.:Angry:

3. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've had a good go at T-Cutting the affected area and it seems to be having some effect. I'm hoping that since it's only been on a relatively short amount of time that i can get rid before any further damage is caused.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :Aghast: T-cut is aggressive as hell have you concentrated on the affected area or worked it in a wider area. I was going to suggest you speak to Honda and get it inspected under paint warranty., Now you have gone removed a few mm's of clear coat this will be picked up when the scan the paint for paint thickness, they will decline it now for sure.

5. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh dear! I must admit that i was quite surprised by how badly the poop had affected the paint in less than a week. It has been quite hot recently, but previous cars have survived on the drive with no problems.

I try to keep the cars clean and have got covers, too, but it's not always possible to put them on.

Now i have no idea what to do. Should i keep using polish and T-cut to reduce the marks as much as possible, leave it as it is and contact honda or get a respray?

Not the happiest first two weeks of Honda ownership i must say.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Different dropping have varying ranges of acidity :Wink: if iits been eating chips and curry then you know why..:Rolf: heat and acid are lethal combination to speed up the damage. Only layers of wax can mitigate the risk prior to the damage.
    Well I will be upfront Honda will get paint reading off the affected area and they will compare that to a standard car , even the smallest variation they will decline it,sighting the surface has been tampered.

Take this a friendly advise never use that product its very aggressive, it should be used to brighten up fridges and washing machine surfaces. Can you get pictures of the affected area please?

Since you have already used T-cut there is no turning back bud, sorry for the bearere of bad news.

7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Get the Collinite ordered and get busy :Wink:

8. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A few pics, not sure how clear they come out.

IMG_0683.

IMG_0684.

IMG_0685.

IMG_0686.

IMG_0687.

Collinite? Wax, I've got some Meguiars NXT 2.0, would that not do the same job?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    WOW that is really bad bud! how long was it on your car before you noticed it that is looks pretty bad.:Sobbing:

Collinite & NXT 2.0 are good waxes. :Smile:

10. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Like I say, the poop was probably on there from either last Wednesday or Friday. Either way, well under a week. That's why I was so surprised after I washed the car today. Never had anything like it before and I've left other cars for a hell of a lot longer.

11. according to andy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi just had the same thing happen to my car,where i work there is a rubbish collection point which in last few years has frequented by load of seagulls and boy when they poop they really poop,loads of it ,looked like a great eagle had dropped a load,but i found meguiars cleaner polish, repeated three times on affected area did the job,i know this poop is a bugger as i washed affected area straight away but still left marks but happily rectified by meguiars cleaner polish, hope this helps

Ichiban likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Andy I am intrigued at this tip of yours :Thumbup:can you advise how you used it and method please.

13. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well the cars going in to the dealers on Wednesday for a service and some work on its speakers. I'll have a chat with them and see what they think. The stuff I've been using is actually called t-cut colour fast. Hopefully not as abrasive as the original. Perhaps il have a crack at using the meguiars cleaner polish as I think I have a small bottle that came free with a clay bar kit. I'll stick to just the one mark on the wing and leave the bonnet. I should have mentioned earlier that the patch that I'd had a go at was just one spot on the wing rather than the all of the marks on the bonnet.

Ichiban likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Chin up buddy hopefully the new tip can sort out the damage or limit its visibility.

15. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    I feel for you, used to get this with the German crud i used to drive wife old passat had bird dropping all be it a LARGE one on the bonnet fir less than a day last summer and we ended up having the bonnet re painted!Can be nasty toxic stuff. I always wash it off ss soon as i see it and touch wood i have been ok so far with my accord.

GOOD LUCK with getting it sorted though

Let us know how it pans out pal.

16. according to andy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have to say i did need to rub marks quiet hard three times ,thought poop marks where gone after i washed it but when i got car in to my garage you could still see them, not so much full on but looking across bonnet they had not gone and to say i was mad is a under statement,considering the amount of layers and quality wax,polish and sealant on my car which had taken me hours and hours to build up it still marked my paintwork but to be fair meguiars came through for me oh and a load of elbow grease hope it works for you :Thumbup:

17. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right, I couldn't resist leaving it until tomorrow so i had a trip to Halfrauds today and purchased some Meguiars Scratch X 2.0, some Megs ultimate compound, some G3 polishing waffle pads and a few other bits and bobs (including some Autoglym Bird Dropping Wipes as a preventative measure).
    The Megs cleaning polish didn't seem to do the job and i was very reluctant to go back to the T-Cut.
    Having used a combination of both (Scratch X and ultimate compound) with hand and DA polishing i've reached a condition that i can live with. I'm still gutted that the marks happened in the first place, but i think i've minimised the nasty appearance as much as possible.
    I reached the conclusion that if i'd already stripped some of the clear coat with the T-Cut then using less abrasive products could do little more damage. Since you (CJ) say that Honda would flat refuse the case under paint warranty I figured that taking a bit more of the clear coat off would be a better, and cheaper, quick fix than having the entire bonnet and wing resprayed. I guess if i really want to i can till have a bonnet respray in the future if required.

For now, the cover is staying on and the bird poop wipes are stashed in the glove box. Here's a piccy of the results. You can just about see a haze where one bit of the poop was on the reflection of the roof of the house. It looks a little like orange peel now. I made sure when i was done i gave the entire bonnet a good coating of wax as a preventative measure.

IMG_0688.

I expect that half the reason that the poop affected the paint so badly in the first place was because the previous owner obviously took little care of the car. I doubt it has ever seen a layer of wax or polish since new (until now).

Ichiban likes this.
  18. according to andy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am glad you have reached some piece of mind with the work on your paintwork,as you say megs might have worked if previous owner would have taken more care with the paint work,in my case looks like my previous detailing saved my bacon :Thumbup:

Ichiban likes this.
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Happy for you buddy just layer up wax frequently on your car and you will be fine. As for the affected area just be on top of it as you have rightly said the clear coat protection will be minimal and if you layer up the wax in that area it will hold up.