Engine & Gearbox Bit the bullet this is going to get expensive!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dave, Saturday 22nd Nov, 2014.

1. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Finally decided it's time for the clutch to be done, it's only been intermittent for the last 30k miles but it's happening more often and as I've a week off I thought it would be the perfect time to get it done.

When I bought the car it was full Honda history and after checking with Honda they have no record of it ever having a clutch or DMF!!!!

I have to admit I was tempted to borrow some money and chop it in on an 8th Generation but then I can't let her go till she's well over the 200k miles mark and as it's cost me virtually nothing over the last 4+years and 50k miles she's going in on Monday for genuine clutch and genuine DMF.

No doubt I will get some Swindon rubbish as a courtesy car and the old bank balance is going to feel the pain!

2. Chrispike Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Out of interest, how much?

Always useful to have a number in mind for these things!

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good on you Dave for sticking with the 7th Generation.
    Hope you get many more happy miles out of it.

4. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

£1042 all genuine parts. @Zoran Yeah I'm not ready to part with her yet lol,

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    By all accounts she's a strong girly, I think there's no harm in investing in her at all :Smile: She'll get to 200k!

Which dealership are you using for the work?

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm sure she'll make past 200k she's only got 18k to go to hit the magical 200! My local Honda dealer is doing it I was going to use HH but it's a bit of a trek and I'd have to waste a full day in Stoke so this just works out better for me.

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well, you might be able to lower the cost a bit by getting the parts from HH and just get the labour done by your local :Smile:

8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not paying full price for it doing should be almost £1200 at normal prices :Wink:

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Good on you mate, I'm not all too brushed up on the diesel prices :Laughing:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Refusing the old girl eh Dave,you sending to Barnsley Honda ? I thing they have a HMT there don't they?

11. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah she's off to Barnsley Honda mate, what's a HMT? And you so know I'm keeping her to prove how good the I-CTDI can be when well looked after :Wink:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda Master Technicians only a dozen or so exist in the country for cars. HH used to have two they have moved on their careers now.Honda's training benefiting other riff raf cars.:overtired:

13. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thought it might be something like that, I'll ask on Monday :Wink:

14. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I've got her back you can tell the difference in how it bites/feels so much nicer to drive. I had a look at the clutch it wasn't down to the rivets but then it wasn't slipping all the time either. As far as we can tell it is the original and the car has full Honda history and there's no record of a clutch so I think 8 years and 182k miles ain't bad going! :Smile:

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Good to hear mate, glad she's out safe and sound. Give her a bit to bed in and she'll be even better :Smile:

16. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah looking forward to racking up some more miles in her now.

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You're a diesel hero @Dave, proving that the I-CTDI Accord is a great car when treated correctly. 200K here we come! :Thumbup:

Dave likes this.
  18. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Nels I can't wait for the big 200 lol just to prove the diesel haters wrong lol :party:

Nels likes this.
  19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's what I am hoping for too @Dave. :eek:
    So many people slate the I-CTDI, but I'm sure it's because the previous owners have failed to look after their cars correctly. That then results in issues later on.
    My 10 year old CN1 has only done 80k, but she runs perfectly.

20. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I agree with you there mate if there abused and not serviced properly there going to go wrong. Mines an ex rep mobile the actually company who owned it is the only previous owner of it on average it's had 3 services a year when you look at the service book.