Exhaust System Bits of metal ....

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by brian62c, Friday 27th Mar, 2015.

1. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Brian Haverfordwest
    Well now, the present Mrs C was walking down our long concrete drive the other day and noticed a foreign bit of metal on the ground. Being the conscientious, tyre-aware person she is, bless her, she picked it up and brought it back to the house. On the way, she passed her beloved CR-V and because the drive is sloping, she could clearly see underneath, where a similar bit of metal was hanging down under the front middle of the car.
    Anyway, she duly presented me with the first bit of metal and when I donned the overalls and crawled under her vehicle, the other bit came off in my hand with very little persuasion.
    As you can see from the photos, both bits are from one side of a somewhat fatter section of the front end of the exhaust system and seems to be part of some kind of heat shield or protective casing. They have rusted around their bolt holes and broken in half. There are a couple of sensors plugged into this section too. Is this where the cat is or what? I know I should look it up but it gives me an excuse to post a couple of pics and drivel on at you guys, which is always enjoyable!
    So here they are and where they came from:

shield.JPG shieldback.JPG exhaust.JPG

Any info/suggestions welcome. I suppose what I'm asking is how vital is this shield thing to the wellbeing of Mrs C's V, how soon should I be doing something about it - and how easy/expensive is it likely to be?
    Cheers all.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Those are Cat heatshields mate to dissipate the heat from the catalytic converter without causing a fire.

brian62c likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :whathesaid:

brian62c likes this.
  4. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    As far as I know they are not vitally important to the vehicles well being.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They are vital in summers you plan to get your car parked on a grassy verge and leave you car. If the grass is bone dry and without the cat shields the grass will combust start a fire.

All it takes is a rouge newspaper to get wedged under the car, your car will be toast.

6. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley

Its ok CJ we don't have a summer in Scotland and the grass is always green :Laughing:

They sound more important than the bits I usually rip off the undersides of my Honda's, I have had the pull off rattling exhaust heat shields before when they start to vibrate at certain revs.

Some of the heat shields looked like they were designed because of the dyno testing the cars go through as they are tested at high revs for long periods and remain stationary.

brian62c likes this.
  7. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Brian Haverfordwest
    Thanks chaps. Was thinking should avoid the long dry grass. Although like James, we don't exactly suffer from a surfeit of that in this part of wet and windy west Wales!
    Better get in touch with Holdcroft and see if they can sort me out. Not sure about fixings though. They looked pretty corroded. Suppose if I get a whole new shield though, it will come with. About time I gave her a serviçe too, come to think of it. The V, not the present Mrs C :PullFaces:
    Tha