General Black Box!

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by captain trumpy, Friday 1st Jan, 2016.

1. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Captain East Sussex
    Hi all. Had my Legend a week now, and just finding out all it's foibles. Thickest car handbook I've ever seen!
    My question is, what does the black box mounted under the parcel shelf do. Is it the means by which the satnav gets updated? Not a big issue at the moment, but I haven't found anything in the ,manual about it.

Absolutely love this car, keep finding excuses to pop down the shops for small items, then getting lost on the way home and accidentally doing an extra 50 miles!!

2. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There is a DVD disc with your sat nav maps inside :Smile:.

3. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah ha! Thank you Timkk. So how does it get updated, do I need to get another disc from Honda or will they do it when it gets serviced?

4. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No problem! Once you buy another disc to get updated maps it's easy. Just put it into "black box" and it updates automatically :Smile:.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  6. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mo Cheshire
    What? I thought the black box made it go fast?? So I went and got a bigger black box and replaced it......that would explain why my car isn't going any faster and why my sat nav isn't working :bleh:

Only kidding! I was thinking of updating sat nav disc as I still have original. But Google maps is just too good......

7. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Problem with google maps is that you can't store maps offline. A bit of a pain if you want go abroad. I use sygic for offline maps but still have my car sat nav turned on. I end up using both a lot.

8. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I found this.

£13.75 seems reasonable, and it's the 2015 version. Perhaps I might splash out on a new one. The car is 2009 so there should be lots of updates on the latest disc.

On another matter, I need to replace the front tyres soon. What is the favoured make, if any? I'm thinking Michelins or Pirelli.

9. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's cheap because it's probably a cracked version (not that it matters :Wink:). Direct buy from the manufacturer's site is around £100.