Aftermarket Kit Black Bullet Mini 0801 Car Dash Camera

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Saturday 21st Sep, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Black Bullet Mini 0801 Ambarella Car Dash Camera

Introducing the Black Bullet Mini 0801 Ambarella

blackbullet2.

• Full 1080p HD @ 30FPS and 135 Degree FOV at this resolution powered by the Ambarella A2S60 processor.
    • G Force Shock Sensors
    • Optional GPS built into the docking station
    • Built in Screen for menu system and also to help position camera
    • Powered Docking Station for quick and easy removal of camera
    • Loop Recording
    • Records audio
    • Micro-SD up to 32GB and also has an HDMI port
    • Optional built in 8GB memory for on scene data backup (should you have to hand your card over to police)
    • Internal Battery

This really is a great little camera and is just what I was looking for as it uses a docking station which is powered so removing is just a case of pulling the camera away. The internal battery also means that if you have to leave your car because say someone hit you from behind you can pull the camera out and carry it whilst still recording for seamless evidence of the whole event.

The small display screen is a big help for quickly adjusting settings and getting the camera angle correct. As soon as you turn the ignition on it will start up and it also plays a quick chime to let you know it's working ok and having motion detect on allows it to start recording as soon as you move away.

The video quality is excellent and up there with the more expensive devices. There's no problems when there's lots of trees about and the total bitrates range from 9098kbps to 11804kbps from the samples I've taken so this shows there's been no reduction in the bitrate with the firmware etc. Night time quality is good, it's hard to judge from the limited samples I've taken but the only examples I've seen which are better are the few Wide Dynamic Range cameras that I've seen such as the DOD LS300W but these cameras are quite bulky and always seem to come with suction cups instead of 3M tape.

The best part is the price! You can get it from Amazon at £80, however, it will be shipped from China with an estimated 7-21 days. Plus, I'm not sure if you could end up getting charged for Duty and also VAT. I preferred to go with a UK Supplier who cost £110 and this also comes with a 1 year warranty from a UK based firm. The price difference does make me think that the Amazon one doesn't include the Duty and VAT. The UK Supplier is Car Camera Choices and they were very helpful. Delivery took 1 working day so that's good also.

Software is free and works perfectly.

Installation was made easy thanks to the excellent tutorial by Doc which can be found here and it took away the fear and risk of snapping clips etc! The camera can detect motion so if you hardwire it with a battery protect then it will operate in parking mode. I decided not to hardwire as there isn't a specific hardwiring kit available for it and I didn't want to use another make. Instead, I just used a cigarette lighter extension lead and HID the cables in the same place as you'd put the hardwiring kit. If you didn't want to use the parking mode feature then you could safely hardwire it to the cigarette lighter fuse so that the unit shuts down when you turn the car off, but it's so easy to remove from the docking station that it's not really necessary.

Below are some photos from my installation, I've missed out many as they would just be repeats of Doc's. I've also got a short video link but Vimeo won't let me do full HD unless I upgrade so it's only in 720p so if you view it in full screen the quality does drop a bit unfortunately. I'll see if I can pop a full 1080p version up somewhere.

Cheers
    Graham

Black Bullet Mini 0801-1. Black Bullet Mini 0801-2. Black Bullet Mini 0801-3. Black Bullet Mini 0801-4. Black Bullet Mini 0801-5.

Black Bullet Mini 0801-6. Black Bullet Mini 0801-7. Black Bullet Mini 0801-8. Black Bullet Mini 0801-9. Black Bullet Mini 0801-10.

DVR Player.

[video=vimeo;75110431]http://vimeo.com/75110431[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    Doc and Ichiban like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I meet up with Doc today morning and saw his set up and after seeing this a bit up of a dilemma which one to chose.

Thanks for this mate :Thumbup:

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    No worries, hope it helps!

I found pros and cons with all the cameras but if this camera proves to be reliable then it really does make the others look very overpriced. I fancied the idea of the ones which support a second camera, but it's usually camera 2 is usually a lower resolution and sometimes even the primary camera's resolution drops when a second camera is plugged in.

With this one you can stick another one in and get full 1080p HD to the rear and still be quids in! In fact if you used Amazon and took a chance with Duty then you could put three 1080p cameras in for £240! But I wouldn't get it from Amazon to be honest and if you can arrange a bulk deal then I'm sure the price will be very competitive from them compared to Amazon.

I just hope it lasts as it is made in China and not Korea etc but then it comes with a year's warranty.

I'll build up some more footage of various situations such as rain, bright days, dull days, city at night, rural at night etc. I'll host them on one of my own servers at full HD :Smile:

Last edited: Monday 23rd Sep, 2013
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Great review Graham, really tempted to get something like this now.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just to add, I'm sure Car Camera Choices will offer a deal if buying bulk from them which makes it even better value :Smile:

Last edited: Monday 23rd Sep, 2013
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    if the chaps CCC guys join up please can you get in touch with me or one of the mods to set up the account and arrange the discount for members.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Here's a night shot from tonight on a nice clear night. Bear in mind screenshots from video footage never look as good as watching the actual footage, even BlueRay film screen caps look duff sometimes! lol I don't use the software that comes with it but a free one called Registration Viewer. It seems to have more responsive GPS tracking against the map, shows your speed in digits and combines all your footages together into handy single files. The time line is also better as you get a better view of the times of the day and also jogging between times is more responsive. It also has very cool and responsive fast forward features!

The beta version plots your speeds at various points in the time line also - handy for quick reference :Smile:

Still working on getting full 1080p hosted up, but I'll get some 720p up on Vimeo in the meantime.

Mini 0801 Motorway Night.

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That looks really good.
    Whats the total cost to have this installed in the car if you don't mind me asking?
    Of course I would have to pay someone to do it for me because I am useless with things like this.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It took me less than an hour to do it behind the trim so you local trusted mechanic at £50 an hour should do it no problem, I'd print off Doc's tutorial to make it even easy and quicker for them. To hardwire, perhaps an extra 10 minutes?

But honestly, the tutorial really is spot on for removing the trim - which I hate doing for fear of snapping things but everything comes away very easily. Probably the most difficult part was the tidying up the cables under the dash but that's only because I had to go into the footwell head first and upside down so I was looking up and it's a bit of a squeeze lol

If you go with Blackvue they have their nationwide installation prices here

After checking out various cameras etc, I'd really only go for full 1080p and make sure it's got a decent bitrate. When averaging 11-12kbps you can get about 7 hours of constant footage on a 32GB card before it starts to loop, but with motion detect this will increase as it will stop recording when stationary after a while. At 720p I think it's just under 12 hours.

The MI-Witness is only 720p and bloody expensive if you ask me.

The RoadHawk is 1080p but it's ugleeee.

Last edited: Wednesday 25th Sep, 2013
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

+1 to what Zoran said I'm interested in this too.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    At this rate it would probably be better for all those interested to buy their cameras and then do a group meet/install! lol

I have to admit, my driving style has completely changed since I put the camera in. I'm far more aware of my speed and although I feel more confident around crazy drivers I still try to avoid a situation and don't think that because I've got the camera I can steam roll into it.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Well me and Zoran are practically neighbours we could do our own mini meet Lol

Is anyone progressing an AOC discount with CCC ?

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm not sure, I thought it would be best if CCC would come on here and run the deal themselves as it would be cleaner for them to take the orders etc than someone else trying to organise it. Even at full price it's still a bargain but I'll see what's happening if you like.

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

don't mind paying full price for camera.Dumb this down for me a bit, everything that is needed for installation comes with camera or any additional bits needs to be bought separately.
    Speedy if you are going for it let me know and I will buy it as well.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yeah Zoran, we'll do this together, purchase and install :Smile:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Graham just drop me the contact details for CCC i will speak to them and set up the discount for members.