Detailing Black paint maintenance

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by SpeedyGee, Tuesday 3rd Feb, 2015.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How hard is black paint to maintain ?

What do you have to do keep it looking good ?

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Depends on where the car will be I guess, because of my work the Mazda was a nightmare but when polished up black looks amazing I think.

A quality wax or sealant definitely helps when it comes to the regular washes allowing the dirt to slide off easily.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    It can be a bit of a nighmare if I am honest to the point where I probably won't buy a black car again.

You can spend hours cleaning it and then just the slightest trip down the road, and you can see it getting dirty again, however, it does look stunning when it is all cleaned up. I maintain my paintwork by giving it 2 yearly buffs. So, I clay it twice a year, then use iron x on it, then a bit of cutting if necessary, followed by poor boys black sealant and a good wax with decent stuff. She shines like a gem, but its hard to keep her clean

Getting a new car @SpeedyGee

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Let's call it window shopping for now :Rolf:

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Its hard to keep it looking really clean, but it looks fantastic when you do.

Look forward to see pictures of those "windows" you are looking at. :Laughing:

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'd say that if you are a perfectionist when it comes to your car, and if it is a car for everyday use, avoid black (and other very dark colours).

They do look great when prepared and sorted properly, but they also show every mark, swirl and speck of dust and dirt. If you can live with that, and the extra maintenance to keep it looking good, then go for it, but go in with your eyes open!!!

Personally I couldn't live with it - would drive me crazy - so my last 5 regular use cars have been silver, with the sixth a very light metallic blue.

7. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Black is the most rewarding colour once prepped and cleaned up. Yes it's a pain to keep clean but at least it gives me the excuse to wash it all the time lol

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I don't really think it's any harder to look after. It does however need cleaning more often.
    If you have your pressure sprayer and cleaning things set up and ready to go, it doesn't take long to wash and dry. That's assuming the paintwork has been sealed and waxed to start with.

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thanks @Nels.

Been looking at black cars on the road, it does seem like dirty black ones stands out more as being dirty. Whilst with other colours it's not as obvious.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Conversely, a clean black car looks great.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Agreed, a clean, well kept, black car looks stunning.

12. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Indeed it does, stand back and admire your hard work

SpeedyGee likes this.