Detailing Blemish in roof may have polished through lacquer

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Walkerci385, Monday 11th May, 2015.

1. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Chris Here
    Hi
    I had a blemish on my roof that I think may have been a firework incident last November well only noticed after bonfire night. Anyhow I ended up touching in with lacquer and flattered and polished. It's ok but not perfect. What I'm concerned with is I'm not sure if the polish has taken lacquer off in a small patch around the repair. I used diamond brite conserver and I'm sure it's sort of thinned it if not removed it it certainly took top off the touch in. Now if it has been removed is it ok to just keep waxing to protect it or will something bad happen to it? I can't justify the quote of £500 to get it repaired by bodyshop.
    It's only about the size of a 20p best shot I could do sorry.

Thanks

Chris
    image.

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you rub it over gently with some polish, the cloth will turn blue if you've hit the basecoat.

4. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven't noticed any blue on my cloth but I suppose haven't been specifically looking it's the change in colour that made me think it. I might give it a try but I'm a bit reluctant in case it make it worse lol
    - - - Updated - - -
    Change in colour around the area it was supposed to say.

5. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    As nels has said, if the clearcoat had been removed then you will get blue paint on your polishing applicator or pad. If so then a respray probably required. If not then obviously very thin in the area so I would apply a paint sealant then wax over the top

Duc de Pommfrit and Nels like this.
  6. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks wanner69, by sealent I have some muck off miracle shine which says its a sealent? Then something like nxt on top be ok? I do have a diamond brite kit that I was going to reapply would that be better on it to seal it?

For a respray is it normal to spray whole roof for such small mark or do you think anyone would be able to blow it in? I have spoken to 2 body shops one saw it, one over phone and they have said whole roof as they don't do anything less with a roof they are big body shops so may be too small a job and Just wondered if its worth trying any more places?
    Sorry for all questions thanks for your help Chris

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Walkerci385 - just a thought - it may be worth asking your local Honda dealer, as my experience says some of them have an arrangement with one of the "Chips Away" type franchises to sort minor paintwork issues, scuffed alloys etc.

Can't hurt to ask?

Nels likes this.
  8. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Never considered honda I ll try it thanks.

9. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Checked with honda they also say would be whole roof :-( so I'll just keep it waxed. Thanks for the advice.

Chris

wanner69 likes this.