Electrical & Lights Blue ambient lighting in the footwell: How bright are yours?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by FarHanSolo, Monday 10th Nov, 2014.

1. FarHanSolo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Farhan Milton Keynes
    I have blue ambient footwell lighting that seems really dim.

I'm not expecting a massive Fast and Furious blue glow around my size 8 shows but thought these babies would be at least a little bit brighter. (I know First World Problems)

The one pointing down at the cupholders is a welcome addition and just fine for its brightness.

However, the ones in the passenger and driver's footwell are pretty dim.

I've had a look at them and cleaned the "lens" and I know the brightness is controlled by the instrument panel rheostat and that has had no impact on them.

Do they meet your expectations as they seem pretty lushy in the brochure? Maybe it's the marketing guys adding brightness in Photoshop, lol
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry that's Size 8 shoes!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Think someone did a mod on here to make them brighter.

Have a search, I'll have a look later as well for you, see if I can find the thread. It was a really simple mod if I recall correctly.

3. FarHanSolo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Farhan Milton Keynes
  4. FarHanSolo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Farhan Milton Keynes
    I've seen the posts and they mention drilling holes and so I walked away, lol

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Why don't you just wire in your own slightly brighter LED's into the existing circuit and replace the stock ones? Will be a straight forward mod. Check the voltage, use resistors if necessary. As long as you match the same voltage as it is at the moment, it will be fine. I made the footlights for my car using LED's and wiring it up to the dome light circuit so they act exactly like the dome light does (dimming when ignition is turned on, illuminate when key is taken out, or car unlocked etc) , but the photos make it look a lot brighter than it really is in reality.

6. FarHanSolo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Farhan Milton Keynes
    Why don't I etc. etc? You're assuming I'm technically gifted Nighthawk, lol.

I can program and compose music on my sampling workstation but faffing about with Accord wiring is not on my to do list I'm afraid.

Perhaps you want a tenner to do the fix for me and are your footwell lights bright then?

7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On standard 8th Generation Ex the foot well ambient lighting is a very dim glow.

I've got the ambient lighting pack on mine and whilst there seems to be no light at all when driving (the console lighting seems to be in lieu of this but you still have the lighting downward from by the map reading lights) when you open the door the foot well lighting is brighter than the standard 8th Generation Ex.

DSC01298.JPG DSC01299.JPG
    - - - Updated - - -
    They also come on (in the front anyway) when you unlock the car.

Not sure about the rear foot well ambient lighting, that might just come on with the headlights. Will try and remember to check.
    - - - Updated - - -
    They also come on (in the front anyway) when you unlock the car.

Not sure about the rear foot well ambient lighting, that might just come on with the headlights. Will try and remember to check.

8. FarHanSolo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Farhan Milton Keynes
    Wow! Loving the spaceship blue. SO are you saying CU3 is brighter because mine is an EX too?
    - - - Updated - - -
    I'm going to have to go out and have a look now as don't know if I have rear ones but the front ones only come on when the headlights are on!

9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just been wondering if this is brighter because I got the optional ambient lighting pack fitted in addition to the standard EX ambient lighting.

Or perhaps it's just the standard pack is brighter on facelift models. I'm not sure but the standard ambient lighting in the foot wells wasn't that bright on my PFL CU1
    - - - Updated - - -
    My footwell lighting goes off when I shut the door after 30 sec or if I start the engine sooner than that (it stayed on in my PFL CU1 but very dimly) and I just have the rear foot well, the ceiling ambient light shining on the radio controls etc and a led ambient light in each storage pocket either side of the central console.

The rear lighting and front console pocket ambient lighting are definitely optional extras, along with the illuminated "Accord" front doorsill garnishes.

We need a facelift EX owner without optional extra ambient lighting to add their input for clarification. Not sure who has facelift EX with and without optional extra ambient lighting though

@Ichiban and @lefty do you have the optional ambient lighting on your facelift EXs or just the standard factory fit please? Cheers! :Thumbup:

10. FarHanSolo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Farhan Milton Keynes
    Oh there's an optional pack to the ambient lighting, very cool.

Just checked, no rears and the front ones come on to an unsatisfactory dim glow and only when the headlights are on only :Aghast:

11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Those front ones of yours @FarHanSolo are shocking, I must say

FarHanSolo likes this.
  12. FarHanSolo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Farhan Milton Keynes
    As an aside, does your Facelift EX come with headlight washers too? Mine 8th Generation Ex doesn't but my 5th and 7th Generation EXs did.