General Blue ish smoke

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hondalover55, Sunday 3rd Mar, 2013.

1. hondalover55 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi guys.

Recently i have noticed a blue ish smoke coming out of my Diesel Accord (06)
    It happened as i was having lunch break in my car and had a car running, then when i drove off, smoke was pouring out like from a bloody VW, but it was blueish smoke. What could it be? Also noticed the car burning oil.
    Have changed, Air, Oil, Diesel Filters before. Could it be the glow plugs?
    Also one more annoying thing, driving in any gear on a bit higher revs, the car gives like a little shake in the engine if you like, as if to say, change the gear. Its annoying.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Blue ish smoke so it's burning oil via valve stems/guides or turbo.

The judder is likely to be a drive shaft. The diesels are hard on their drive shafts.
    Could also me engine mounts but get the drive shafts checked out first.

3. hondalover55 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi mate, thanks for reply.

not that kind of a judder. I have recently changed the driveshaft as it was shaking badly at 60mph, now its fixed. the kind of juddering i get it feels like engine stopping type of thing.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm not sure what that is but an engine like stopping unless it's hit the rev limiter, that doesn't sound good !

Could be a turbo issue.

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Turbo seal has gone allowing oil to be burnt?

6. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Saw a very similar issue on a vw bora a couple of years ago. A piston ring had cracked so under high liad the crack opened up allowing compression past the ring and causing a misfire. Try opening the oil filler cap with the engine running and check for excessive blow by. Beware there may be a lot of oil thrown around by the cams, so have some rag handy, and wear an old shirt.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm not sure it would be so easy to tell between a normal amount of blow by and excessive amount of blow by, just by listening with the filler cap off.

Best to get a compression test or leak down test done, is you suspect a compression issue.

8. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There should be virtuallu nothing on a healthy engine. The bora was blowing fumes 6 feet into the air..

9. hondalover55 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks guys for all the posts. Have been told by few people that the glow plugs are on the way out. Observe how the car runs while you are driving. If you manage to start your diesel engine, note any unusual behaviours of the car. If it jerks, sputters or sounds louder and less even than normal, your glow plugs may be going bad. The jerking and sputtering can feel like you are low on fuel or be less pronounced such as a the vehicle "skipping" every few minutes. That is exactly whats happening to the car. If it was the turbo leaking, the smoke would be there all the time. (its not) my car only starts to smoke blueish smoke when the car is warm and is standing idling on neutral for more than 5-10 min, then driving off i see the smoke for first 4 gears and then dissapers.
    I will be buying the glow plughs hopefully tomorrow and will keep you updated.