Engine & Gearbox Blue smoke when accelerating away.

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by j b l, Monday 2nd Nov, 2015.

1. j b l Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hello all,

Before taking it to Honda I wanted to have some opinions and perhaps experience from here.

Car's a 2010 2.2ctdi auto with 31,000 miles.

I have just noticed earlier a puff of blue smoke materialising at the rear when accelerating away from a junction or red light. It's light but noticeable. I cannot see anything obvious when accelerating whilst in gear and rolling. No noticeable noise or power loss either.
    I have checked around the turbo whne I got back home and can't see any obvious trace of oil seepage.
    Any idea? I'd just like to tackle a fault early on rather than wait and see and ending up with a large bill.

Cheers

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Is the oil level dropping?

Does the blue smoke get worse after a period of over-run, e.g. when you first put your foot back on the accelerator after coming down a lengthy hill?

3. j b l Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not necessarily. Just went out to check. No matter whether cold or hot the oil shows about 1cm above the max mark on the dipstick.

Strange that I only noticed it now even though I did check before going on holiday this summer. I've done over 5000 miles since its last service :Messed:

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Keep an eye on the engine oil level but, if it doesn't drop at all over the next few weeks, then I can't see that this is much of a problem. Maybe a tank of poor quality/contaminated fuel?

Was the sump slightly overfilled at the last service?

5. j b l Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. As per my previous, yes, I reckon it's been overfilled slightly. Some friends did mention using a bottle of Redex next time I fill up too.

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Waste of money, in my opinion.

7. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    I would say it's the oil level to high.
    You are probably creating to much pressure in the engine and its dumping through your throttle body.
    Take the car back where you had the oil change and get them to take out the excess oil.

8. j b l Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, I hadn't use the car for a good few days after my last post (I commute by motorcycle or work from home) but I did have to use it this week end. No problem at all, all signs of smoke gone after 80 motorway miles, bizarrely.

Still had it booked at Honda on monday so went, told them the oil level was too high so they adjusted it and ran an engine check + visual + test drive during which they couldn't replicate the smoking.

Low and behold, I used the car this morning to get to the office (106 motorway miles) during which it was fine and unfortunately when I took it again this lunchtime the smoking returned, with a vengeance (seems worse than before).

Honda dealer was accomodating and said to bring it back for further investigation on Friday. Only issue is the drive back and the fact the smoking might stop and go again.

Scratching my head a bit.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Still blue smoke? Intermittent black smoke could be poor boosting, but blue is hard to explain unless it's burning engine oil.

Any unusual turbo noise?

10. j b l Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Smoke not happening anymore. Seems the last episode was due to oil residues left over from the over filling. Just went to France and back for Christmas without issue and no smoking.

Oil level constant! No burning.

11. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    1cm over the max, that's quite a lot of extra oil!

Nice long run to clear it out is just what your car needed :Smile: