Off-Topic BMW do a Toyota

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 27th Mar, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

CJ beat me to it, I was going to post this.
    Funny isn't it, overpriced rubbish.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Potentially Audi Mercedes and VW will soon come out the woodwork , good time to announce bad news on the back of this ...:Whistle:

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I am surprised VW did not have recall on injectors,i heard so many people had injector problems on previous Passat model.My mate had to change all 4 on his car costing him a small fortune,he had enough and sold the car recently.
    BMW just does not attract me at all and i would not buy one ever.
    When i was younger i must admit i wanted beemer but not now.

Last edited: Tuesday 27th Mar, 2012
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My parents and brothers all have German cars , they are always on the phone about electrical gremlins and engine issues.. and I ALWAYS have the last laugh. But did they milk it when my car failed its MOT I got it back with interest..

I find German cars vile and vulgar .. but they are family what to do?

6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just get new family mate. Simples. lol

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lol the thought has crossed my mind.

8. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    This is a scary situation, thinking that a battery could catch on fire. And, at least they're recalling early before serious injury occurs. From what I remember seeing on TV news, Toyota actually let the problem drag on long after people started getting injured/dying in wrecks cause of their defective cars.

At least, BMW is taking preemptive strike before anyone is seriously injured.

Primarycare likes this.
  9. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    BMW are only doing this because they have little choice - major safety issue. Reality is the same as VW they don't care, thats the long and short of it..

VW have known from the outset that the new 2.0L TDI has injector problems and they still have but thats not just the VWs it applies to every VAG group 2.L diesel so Audi as well (not sure if the new Lambo is a 2.0L) :Smile:. What action did vw take? Well they increased stock in the UK three fold. Says it all..

VW also aware that Passats had /have serious water leak issues, with water getting in around the pollen filter what did they do? increased the amount of comfort control modules in stock in the UK £300 a time, sits in passenger foot well which is exactly where the water goes. Did VW care about impact on customers? No. Did they care in the USA and Canada? Yes - enough to implement a full recall with fix. UK nothing. Would you buy a VAG car?

If you thought yes then a referral to your com unity mental health team may be appropriate, consult your local GP :Smile:

The information is out there for all to read, if you want reliable high quality motoring buy Japanese..

If you want a badge and life time membership to RAC buy German

But then life is all about the choices we make.

SayamaAccord and Ichiban like this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There are decades of proof Japanese cars have always been reliable with the Germans no where to be seen. Japanese car design car has never been interested in keep up the appearances with the Joneses, its just because of this they are boring.

Since when has reliability becoming boring? Despite this people still buy cars from Germany where this so called "German Engineering" :Rolf:

11. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All true ...

People buy German for the badge why else would you?? I mean come on VAG MERC BMW it is well publicised about their ever decreasing reliability ratings - and even the badge is probably made in China these days:Foolish:

The smart money goes to the Japanese

12. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    To avoid major legal liability (as in mass lawsuits resulting in billions of dollars in legal fees/damage awards), a smart car company will take a preemptive strike and recall when needed. Or, at least offer a 'free repair' of the known problems at an authorized dealership. Current customers can certainly appreciate this type of attention to detail as it shows concern.

13. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good point Beverly

That makes VAG group rather dim then.. Or they can afford the legal battles, in the long run probably cheaper than a recall

14. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    But, what about losing credibility with customers if they don't do a recall? How can anyone trust this company if they allow defective vehicles on the road even after they know about a problem. Same thing happened with Tylenol. They knew there was an issue and tried to do a sneaky secret recall of products and when word came out in the news, it was a huge scandal. They lost many customers over the situation. It's all about trust. Once you lose the consumer's confidence, you've also lost their money.

15. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 13th Jul, 2012
  16. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've got family who had problems going German too...Merc E Class, a lovely drive, but they got rid because of dodgy electrics - engine went into shutdown mode a couple of times when apparently it shouldn't have, and left them stranded.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My dad when he had the Mercedes the diesel injectors had a habit of popping out , he had them replaced 4 times at a Mercedes dealer.

The dealer told my dad to sell it his car had had the manufacturing fault since day one and Mercedes refuse to acknowledged it( well that is not a surprise) so what does my dad do goes and buys another Mercedes.. :telloff: I wasn't too impressed but what can you do he is stuck in his ways.

18. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think the Suzuki ads are really funny