Off-Topic BMW - The Saga Begins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 6th Aug, 2015.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    [cue Star Wars music]

Well, just had my first experience with BMW's legendary customer service which pales in comparison to my experience with Honda's customer service.

Three words which became the bane of my day: Run Flat Tyres

Heard the dreaded "click click click" as I'm driving so checked the tyre and yep, there's a lovely large flat headed nail in it but fortunately it's within the area where a repair is allow. Or so I thought.

So, National Tyres have a company policy not to repair run flats because damage will have been done to the tyre walls and when drilling in you are damaging the structural integrity of the tyre etc. But my tyre pressure hasn't dropped yet and has remained at 2.3 bar which, according to the actual tyre manufacturers, is fine to repair. But their policy still doesn't allow it and they said that there is nowhere in Scotland which would touch a run flat. They did say that it could be covered through the business leasing contract so I call BMW and they said it would be covered and I could head over now, so off I go.

Off I drive to BMW and fill out the necessary and told they would get started in 5 minutes to change the tyre. I head out to the car park to see my car doing 0-60mph in 2 seconds by the young idiot charged with driving it into the workshop. I go back inside and wait. And wait. And wait. After 1 hour 45 minutes I ask how it is going and they said it could take up to two hours to change a tyre. I challenged this saying it's complete crap and should take about 15-20 mins absolute max so they head off to see what's happening. 10 minutes later they come back and say it's not covered by the leasing plan (I didn't have maintenance included but if I'd known it had run flats I would have included it). So I said to forget it, I'm not putting more run flats on it when punctures can't be repaired.

This doesn't bother me, if I don't have cover then I don't have cover. But it does bother me that I waited so long just to find out with no updates in between and also why I was told on the phone it was covered. All I get is a "sorry" from the receptionist and "here's your keys [and bugger off]". That's it. Nothing like oh we could meet you half way seeing as the car only has 2,000 miles and you did buy three of these cars from us at the same time and we do insist on putting these stupid f**king run flats on all our cars now.

I ask for the manager's name and she starts to give me the service manager's name. No thanks, I want the whole dealership manager because not only have they wasted my time during the day when I need to be at work, but they've kept me sitting there like a right prick and I don't appreciate my car being raced around the car park due to the risk of it hitting something which would just end up being another headache. I head up to the main dealership (separate location from the service location) and the manager isn't in until tomorrow but another guy speaks to someone from corporate and he agrees that it's all bang out of order and suspected he knew who the boy racer was (I'm guessing it's been raised before). I reminded them of how well Honda treated me not to mention the thousands of pounds they spent on my car under a used warranty without quibble so what's wrong with BMW when all we are talking about a bloody tyre!

Anyway, they seemed to take it more seriously there and I await a call back tomorrow.

Here's the best bit. I called up my old regular tyre place I used to use for the Accord, MPS and CR-V and I explained the puncture and he said no problem, pop round tomorrow and so long as there's no damage with the sidewall then we'll sort it. That's £15 rather than about £260-£300 which BMW would want.

Wasn't just me, a lady had arrived and was waiting for 1/2 hour before asking for her keys and was told it wasn't ready yet. She said she was told an hour and a half ago that her car was ready so she travelled in (which took an hour and a half) and now had to keep waiting! You could tell she was trying to remain civil and smiling but underneath the lava was rising.

Not a great start for BMW.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    BMW - Broke My Wallet

exec likes this.
  3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

BMW = Big Money Waster

4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sometimes it's not as clear cut as it seems. The delay was probably the service advisor having to wait for the authorisation of repair from the lease management company. 99% of lease company's use a system called 1-link, where the requested work is broken down for the lease company to agree to. Depending on the time of day the decision can take up to two hours.

Did you inform the advisor that there was no maintenance agreement and that repairs were down to yourself?

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Alano Premium Member Club Supporter

I had the same thing a few years back. Had a mini with run flats got a puncture BMW said can't repair it you need a new tyre for £120. Took it to a local tyre shop who said no problem repaired it for £10 and i drove it for another 2 years. Would never have another car with run flats

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I knew I didn't have a maintenence agreement but like windscreen cover with insurance and their confidence on the phone I took their word.for it that it was just part of the lease and as they never mentioned maintenance on the phone I never raised it. Live and learn. I'll know next time. At least I've ended up with a cheap solution.

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I somewhat expected a thread like this to pop up @ArcticFire but not this early!!!

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Likewise lol

I'm sure this is just the beginning!

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    BMW ... Backend May Wobble

10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hmmm... I've always known you can NOT, NEVER repair a run flat tyre. It's dangerous, as pointed out by the BMW dealership. If something happens, who will be responsible? The friendly guy who repaired it? They can not check if you did not (re)inflate the tyre after it lost all pressure.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The tyre manufacturers are now saying it's safe so long as there is no damage which can be checked when the tyre is off and the offending item is within the allowed area.

As far as I can see there is no law against it anyway and it's more just a case of company policies.
    - - - Updated - - -
    BMW are more than likely just trying to sell a new tyre, I would think the tyre manufacturers know more about tyres than BMW?

12. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    OK, if manufacturer says it can be repaired, than there's no discussion!

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Got a big apology call from service manager, apparently the dealership manager had went down to speak to them. They offered to contribute towards cost of a new tyre if I get another puncture. Wasn't looking for anything, just want better service. Sounded pretty sincere so will see how the next visit goes.

John Dickson and i-DSI like this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Time will tell. :fingerscrossed: that you've got it sorted now Graham.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Your highlighting of Honda's exemplary service must have struck a nerve :Grin:

Hopefully it's put them on the right path.

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I had one of the run-flats on my MINI repaired (by the MINI dealer) and this was exactly what they said. They told me it depended on exactly where the damage was, and how deep it had gone. As my issue was caused by a small screw, it was able to be repaired. They then MOTd it at the same time as that was what it was there for (they found the screw in the tyre).

They made no attempt at all to sell me a new tyre, and didn't charge me to repair the existing one.