Detailing Bodywork Tar Remover?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by legend-ary, Monday 21st Mar, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hi, Not really a query for myself but a family member with a pearl white car (lets assume it is an unknown brand) :Wink:

I was helping him clean it and it has a lot of tar like spots just aft of the wheels and the wheels themselves are diamond cut alloys and they have a lot of brake dust. I told him there are specialized products for this and he shouldn't 'rub' it down. Going through threads I can see a few products that have been mentioned:

CarPro Iron X
    Billberry Wheel Cleaner

Was wondering if there is anything we need to be careful of when using these? From what I gathered is that IronX is spray on, leave for a few minutes and same with Billberry.. .is that correct? I will use the same stuff on Katto so it is in my interest to make him buy the right stuff ;D

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I use the carpro trix , which is a combination of the iron x and the tar x.. never had any issued, even on the paint work... not sure about the diamond cut alloys though.

CarPro UK - Search Results for "trix"

FirstHonda and legend-ary like this.
  3. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Each to their own and many would only suggest proprietary chemicals. I've found any type of light oil works WD-40, sunflower or strangely enough peanut butter works well. If your going to re-wax a petrol or white spirits rag will rid you of the tar quick and easy but it will strip the wax as well. I wouldn't suggest it for a new car but I use it once or twice a year before claying. We have two pearl white cars and the Irish version of resurfacing roads consists of tar and chippings. Does my head in.

4. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    diesel.

It really is as simple as that.

Makes the job very easy, follow it up with a proper wash and a couple of coats of good polish. I am guessing that the fact the tar has been allowed to build up it hasn't seen much in the way of polishing/waxing

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I haven't got any yet, but based on reviews this stuff is definitely on my next order.

@legend-ary if the car has been waxed, then as an easy solution available from Halfords the Autoglym 'tar remover' does a sound job, even though it sometimes need more work than the best products.

All of the tar shown on my white CR-V was easily removed with it, albeit it is thoroughly waxed (post #18)

http://hondakarma.com/threads/anyone-else-clean-their-car-today.21772/live?page=0

legend-ary likes this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    @FirstHonda as much as my cousin loves his car, he has always taken it to regular car wash places so I doubt there is even a micron of wax on it. He owned a pressure washer for 2 years and I was the one who used it on a car for the first time. I guess I will give him the options and let him choose. :Smile: but thanks for the links I am going to actually buy a claybar for Katto as you recommended in the thread.

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Make sure you use lots of lubricant (car soap and water in a spray bottle work well)

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter