Body, Paint & Styling Bonnet/Hood Latch won't work - Help

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Skipperjohn, Sunday 25th Jan, 2015.

1. Skipperjohn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Peeps - can anyone help?

The internal bonnet latch on my 53 plate Accord will not work. Possibly cable stretched or adrift at the latch - so I am now unable to lift the bonnet/hood.

Further problem is that I have a flat battery so can't drive it to a garage either.

Can I gain access to free the latch from the outside - and preferably without having to jack it up as it is parked on roadside...

All thoughts welcomed.

John

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Difficult one never encountered this situation .. Do you have AA or recovery service with home start?

3. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland jimmy1973 Ballymena
    Have you tried pushing down on the bonnet while someone else pulled the bonnet release lever?
    - - - Updated - - -
    To elaborate on previous comment, push down on the bonnet while someone else pulls the lever, then with the lever held in the open position try and lift the bonnet.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If the cable is snapped then this won't work, don't apply too much pressure on the bonnet otherwise the metal will go in.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've successfully done the opposite on stuck bonnets, ie got someone to pull gently on the bonnet whilst someone else pulls the catch.

Something else to try is to try pushing the catch all the back in and then try pulling it.

Last edited: Sunday 25th Jan, 2015
    jimmy1973gb likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Is the cable still connected to the lever inside of the car that you use to pop the bonnet? Remove the footwell cover by the fuse box, you will see any slack of cable there. Grab some pliers and give it a tug and see whether it just pulls towards you or if there is any tension.

7. Skipperjohn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Guys for your suggestions.
    I've been quiet because I've been busy trying all suggestions and more...
    Eventually had to give in and get the Accord transported to the local garage who put it up on the ramp and managed to free the bonnet (somehow) and fix the release cable fault.
    Not too horrendous though £40 for transporter and £45 for garage labour - saved my knuckles and temper:Smile:.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to hear it's sorted John.