Service & Maintenance Bonnet-Raise Warning Light aka Pop up Hood Warning.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Rydo, Tuesday 27th Sep, 2016.

1. Rydo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    Long story short, I plebishly slipped my foot off the accelerator and right into the (very close) car in front at the lights today.

There was absolutely no damage to both vehicles surpirignly as I caught the brakes pretty quick but the tap has set off the bonnet raise warning light that should go off for pedestrians.

Absolutely no visible damage as I say but I have read elsewhere on the forum about a thin metal sheet behind the bumper that calibrates this sensor. Anyone have any information on if this can be user reset or if the part can be recalibrate easily?

Trying to rack the service manuals with no luck.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I will double check (not many legends about so I shoved that information somewhere in my head to make space for all the latest crap I have to remember.) if the pop up hood system has activated and the bonnet is raised they are like pre-tentioners or air bags that need replacing. No doubt the sensor plat will have been damaged as this is what's partly used in order to set the pop up hood system off. I think you can get away without replacing the pop up hood control unit and SRI control unit. When an airbag on the SRS system has deployed you have to replace the SRS control unit. I will check ASAP for my own sanity if nothing else

4. Rydo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow

The absolutely bizarre thing is the hood didn't even raise slightly. The car literally looked identical save for the tow hook pop off panel was hanging out and I popped it back in (little plastic tab).

If it does involve anything you are mentioning that sounds extremely expensive for a silly mistake that wouldn't show any issue in a normal car.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Ideally you need the DTC (trouble codes) read first. These will be manufacturer specific so will unfortunately be best read at a Honda dealer. I say unfortunate only because the words main dealer make certain people have a heart attack. You will then know for sure what part of the front impact system has activated. Clearing down the codes can initially be successful, but in my experience the impact plate once defected keeps throwing the light on like a lingering bad smell and is best stumping up and replacing.

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Try disconnecting the battery positive lead for 20 minutes, to see if it resets the EML.

Snap-On Solus and several other common garage diagnostic systems will also read vehicle DTCs, but do check first that the garage will confirm this!

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Why do I bother ?

honda_saj and Ichiban like this.
  8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    ?

9. Rydo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    Not tried to battery disconnect fix yet, busy with work and life in general is these things tend to go.

Getty pretty annoyed of it all already though. Just want my unbroken Legend back :Frown:

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    If the bonnet hasn't raised then the 3 impact sensors attached to the impact plate need checking along with the plate. It works by detecting the degree of deflection of the plate. The you need to remove the bumper. I would suggest firdt clear the fault code. If it does clear then happy days! Still need to check the plate though. If the code will not clear or comes back on shortly after clearing. It's either the plate or both the sensors and plate. All depends on how damaged it is really.

Rydo and vincemince like this.
  11. partsoemru Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Russian Federation Vitaliy Bratsk
    The solution to your problem I described below, and how to fix it.
    Right here

Rydo and legend-ary like this.
  12. Rydo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    I will reply over on that thread! Thanks.

13. partsoemru Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Russian Federation Vitaliy Bratsk
    Please, have questions, please contact.