Aftermarket Kit Boot liner for saloon

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Nelf, Friday 6th Mar, 2015.

1. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    Hi peoples,

I'm looking to get a boot tray/liner as I have my first child on the way in May and think it will be useful when chucking the pram in the boot. I'd want the semi rigid one, not a sheet type.

I know there is an official Honda one at around £70, but I'm looking for the same sort of thing on a budget if possible.

I've seen these

But I'm not sure if they are any good, has anyone got one of these and could comment?

Or can anyone recommend an alternative.

Many thanks

Neil

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

At that sort of price, it's worth a punt. :Unknown:
    I've got the Honda one. It fits perfectly, but then it should do.

3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    The one for 21 pound on E-bay? It's worth 21 pound and completeley different to the Original Honda one. I have the Original one since I bought the car second hand. Fits like a glove, easy to clean and very very rigid. If you can't afford that one right now, save some money and buy it in a few weeks or months time.

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Hi @Nelf . That doesn't look too bad. And if it says it's form fitted for your make and model, it seems a well priced alternative to the OEM version.

I just checked the cost of the OEM boot liner for my Civic and saw it's over £80, so I just went and ordered one similar to the one you linked above (same seller). I'll probably do a little write-up on mine when it arrives, so if you aren't in a hurry, maybe wait till I get mine ? That way I can at least report back on the quality of the material used, and how 'non slip' it is, as well as how well it fits the form of my boot.

5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Are we looking at the same link? When I click on the link, I get a picture of an awfull, cheap looking kind of plastic thing that's supposed to fit my boot.

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yup, same link I'm sure

And looking at the parts catalogue for the my car, on the boot liner page, I see what actually looks like a black plastic bucket which sort of matches the contours of my car's boot. Seeing as they both do the same thing, and will both hardly ever be visible under the crap in the back of my car, I may as well go for the cheaper option.

i-DSI likes this.
  7. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I love your comment, Roger! I really do.

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@Nelf - I don't know if you ordered your boot liner yet, but mine arrived today, and I'm happy with it, considering the price. It fits the boot nicely, and the anti slip mat in the middle is sufficient. The picture below shows the boot liner for my car. I put the extra anti slip mat on top of it for smaller items I store along the edges of my boot.

The boot liner came rolled up in box, so lifted a bit on the edges when in my boot, but after an hour with some heave tool cases in the boot, it seems fine now.

Looking at the parts diagram showing the OEM boot liner, this seems to look exactly the same (except with a shallower lip (which is good, as the OEM looked very exaggerated), and it's way cheaper :Smile:
    IMG_20150320_173102.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Having had a closer look at the e-bay one, I can't see a gap to access the tie down hooks, but I'm sure you could get round that.
    This is a picture of mine, so you can see where they are.

65741_IMG_8221.

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yeah the ebay one doesn't come with a gap for the hooks. Not an issue on my Civic, as it doesn't have any hooks :Smile:

11. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Roger, thanks for the review. Looks up to the job of getting a buggy chunked on it. I just can't justify the £80 price tag for the original one when they essentially do the same thing, its not as it wins any bragging rights either as its never seen.

Nels - thanks for telling us about the eyelet holes, but i haven't got the net and can't see me need access to be honest.

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

No worries @Nelf :Smile:

If I had the money, I'd probably go for the OEM one too, as in all honesty, the parts diagram for it is probably just not properly to scale, but in this case, it's about functionality, and the ebay one does the same job at half the price :Smile:

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I use a net in my boot, so the holes are something I wanted.
    When my children were younger the ebay one (had they been available then) would have been fine for my needs and budget. I got managed with a piece of carpet cut to size.
    It's not just mud that gets on buggy wheels. :Frown:

As soon as my children were using child seats, I had a piece of carpet mat (upside down) on the car seat to protect the leather.
    It's a great deal easier to clean or replace the carpet mats.
    When the child seats were removed, the car seats were still pristine. The photo is from my CC7 just before I traded her in.

Not long until May. Hope all goes well. :Smile:
    Keep us posted.

44366-5b82dd9eef8ca8f8f4b163060893ba95.

Nelf likes this.
  14. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

After consideration I got this one:

Perfect fit and robust enough to deal with all I can expect to throw at it. it doesn't have the holes for the net, but I see this as a bonus as this makes it completely water proof.

I really don't see the value in paying full price for the Honda one having seen this I'm afraid.

Highly recommended and it came in 2 days. It came rolled up, but after 1 hour on a table it returned to form.

One question to all you dads on here, is there anything that I'm going to need or that would be useful for the car from your experience?

can't wait till the little chap arrives now, to make some use of the amount of stuff we've had to buy LOL

15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Looks to be the same as the one I got, except for the accord. I'm happy with mine too.

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

We found it useful to have wet wipes, tissues in the car and a bag in the boot with a supply of nappies, nappy sacks, etc, A spare baby grow or clothes. Later on, a jar or two of baby food, bib and spoon. Just makes life easier when you're out and about and have a little emergency supply of things in the car.

17. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As @Nels says, an emergency bag is always handy, kids can go from having 6 nappies to none in a matter of an hour or two so having spare is always a good idea, as is clothing as they mess through everything. I have a black bedsheet tucked in on the back seat of my Accord, not for baby mess as my kids arent babies anymore, but to just keep them clean in general. I used to have the same sheet when they were babies and it was a life saver. Bottle feed stains beautifully.

My other half has a very strong maternal instinct so she was always prepared and had loads of stuff in reserve, but in sensible amounts so I was lucky with her I guess.

How long left till the little one arrives?

18. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guy's, much appreciated!

The little guy is due on the 27th of May, so not long now...

The bag of back-up stuff is a good idea, I guess even if we never use the stuff in it, its there if we need it and we haven't any other stuff with us.

Good shout on a black sheet for the back seat, this, I will do!

My wife is pretty organised and taking the whole thing very seriously so I expect nothing to come as a surprise to her, but (as the only driver) I want to make sure I have things covered too, especially all things to do with travelling with a baby.

Nighthawk and Nels like this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Trust me, you will use it, a simple trip to Tesco to grab some food can turn mighty messy pretty quickly when you have a baby involved.

Il have to take a picture of the back seats of my accord with the sheet removed - the seats, like @Nels, are immaculate

20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

To protect the leather seats, I had a piece of carpet (One of those sample squares the carpet showroom was selling off) upside down under the child seats. i.e. The soft tufts against the leather. It served to protect the leather and disperse the indentations from the chid seats. I never had a sheet on the back seats. My little ones were instructed on what to do. Yes, they had crisps and drinks, (cartons with straws) but they were careful and didn't spill anything.

Pictures 5 & 6 were when I Part Exchanged my CC7 My 2nd Accord - CC7

My CN1 was equally clean. My 3rd Accord - CN1

SpeedyGee and Nighthawk like this.