ICE & HFT Bose transplant

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by d'accord, Wednesday 20th Nov, 2013.

1. d'accord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quick question; I've found plenty on replacing the Bose radio/cassette units but has anyone fitted the whole system (r/c head unit, cd changer, amp etc) to another car? 'Cos I have the chance of taking the whole lot including code from a scrap car and would like to fit it into something else; it's a damn good system. Any reason why not (I'm fairly handy with wiring)?
    Cheers

2. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

well i changed my standard honda bose cd player for my jvc stereo as my accord has bose sub built in to it i thought b hard to do but all i had to do was buy iso cable and found out that the subn still works so im happy wat ya wanna do adsactly

3. aliandtone New Member Getting Started

@eviltony - can the sub be located under the front passenger seat? Our stereo keeps cutting out for no reason at all and understand that the Bose system is' unique' in it's design but have been unable to find much info on the web!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What's the plan with yours @aliandtone ? Are you looking to replace the failing head unit with an after market one ?

5. aliandtone New Member Getting Started

Possibly, we do have a few other spare head units about! So you are suggesting that you think the fault may be with the head unit rather than the sub? When it crackels, we appear to lose all sound but the display stays on, this is with radio and cd, car stationary or moving, air con off or off - there doesn't appear to be a trigger as to why it decides to stop and then come back on.

Now being Bose, and from the little we have heard, it doesnt sound too bad sound system. We have been trying to do some research to see if anyone else has solved this problem, but gather that the just swapping head units is not enough, because unlike other wiring, the boise has been designed to go through the sub. Can the sub be faulty?

6. aliandtone New Member Getting Started

BTW The car is a 2002 Honda Accord Exec

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

My experience of the Bose setups is generally that the Bose amp only runs the Bose sub. The rest of the speakers are driven by the headunit.

So what is that is crackling and cutting out ? Is it just the sub or all the other speakers.

If it's the other speakers then I would say its the headunit. In this case you could replace the headunit and it should be possible to wire the new headunit (assuming it has RCA output) to the Bose sub, thereby retaining the sub.

If it's Bose sub, just unplug and see how you like the system without the sub running at all.

8. aliandtone New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the prompt reply. We just seem to lose sound! When press the on/off switch can hear a crackle in the boot - is this where the sub is located or is it under the front seat. Will get hubby to have a look this eve!

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes I think the sub is in the boot and the amp under the front passenger seat.

The amp has a one connector on it, unplug this and that should isolate the amp and the sub.

See how you get on without the sub running. If you still experience the issue then it'll be problem with the headunit.

10. aliandtone New Member Getting Started

Cheers! Thanks for the reply. Driving a car without music is driving me nuts!

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You're welcome :Hey:

12. aliandtone New Member Getting Started

Update: unit under seat disconnected. You can hear a relay in the rear sub, clicking on when turn the radio on, and off when you turn the radio off. Can't hear any music/noise from the sub itself and occasionally very faint music from the other speakers. So far no crackling. It would appear that the other 7 speakers are driven from the head unit (not the 'amp') which would point towards head unit being the problem as long as it is the amp under the seats and not any other control unit (like other manufacturers) that has been disconnected!

13. aliandtone New Member Getting Started

I meant to type 6 speakers not 7!

14. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

have u tryed iso cable is it standard head unit as with mine no sound due to worng iso as there werent enough wires oin it halfords gave me 2 options for cable as i tookl mine out with me they let me try the other 1 b4 i bought it and has been fine since

wat iso cable u get for it

15. aliandtone New Member Getting Started

haven't brought an iso cable yet. Its all as factory fitted. Just unplugged the amp to see what happened with the sound

16. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This may help with the wiring issues - from what I've heard, it all runs from the head unit incl amp + sub

17. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

see for me i changed my old standard head unit so i had to get new iso cable for it 1st iso cable i got was wrong so i got a mine from halfords if ur using original head unit are tghe cables all plugged in behind stereo

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Its the last one that will be the bose one amp, which @aliandtone disconnected under the passenger.

So if you reconnect the amp should start working again.

So what's the plan now aliandtone ? Switch out headunit with after market one ?

Just seen your last post @eviltony, can you paste a link to the correct ISO cable that aliandtone can use?

19. aliandtone New Member Getting Started

Cheers everyone. Been looking at the last diagram, hubby bit confused with various audio input, to drive speakers do you not need left/right plus and minus with number of speakers or is this the wiring for the amp (with shielding)

Meanwhile I'm digging out my head units, so I suppose what ISO is best for the BOSE head unit replacement

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

So from your point of view all you need is the correct ISO adaptor and a replacement headunit, you don't need to worry about the wiring as the ISO adaptor cable will take care of this for you.
    Eviltony can you tell us if the ISO adaptor manages to retain the Bose sub functionality ?

If it doesn't then AliandTone you may need to swap out the speakers, as those ones won't really be designed to run the full audo frequency range but they may still sound OK, you will have to see.
    It should be possible with some custom wiring to get the Bose amp running with the head unit if the ISO cable doesn't do it.