Engine & Gearbox Bottom End Rattle

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by vtecjay, Friday 18th Jul, 2014.

1. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    I've got what sounds like bottom end rattle under gentle acceleration an what sounds like squeaking from the engine.. its not the belts as there all in good condition an not long been changed. Hoping someone can give me an easy solution an not have to change the engine :Frown:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can be anything you need to jack the car up and have a good look around.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Unless you're sure that the sounds are relative to engine load, I'd be looking at suspension bushes, ARB, drop-links etc.

4. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    I'll have a full check over and update. Only on 131k so shouldn't be giving me any problems yet.

5. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Got a feeling it may be CV joint on N/S. It just seems that sort of rattle so will have a look when I get time.

6. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Oh an Yea the drop links are on there way out anyway lol

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    CV joint would be a good bet, I've had similar noises come from the drop-links on my '03 too.

8. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    I've done a lot of motorway miles in the last few days so of it was bottom end I think I'd know by now :Smile:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  9. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Drive shafts are fine but the rattle is still there.. not gotten any worse as yet but still concerned about it obviously, I have given it some abuse in the past week along with alot of motorway work so whatever it is it can't be anything to worry about at the moment

10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mate, you would know if it was bottom end knock or rattle, the engine wouldn't last long thereafter. its more than likely a suspension issue, perhaps upper control arm ball joint. need weight off the car for checking though.

11. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Rattle gets faster as the revs rise. Only suspension knock is of course the front drop links. I'm thinking it maybe more top end because as you said if it was big or small end bearings shed be dead by now. All control arm bushes look in good nik with no perishing etc but not had it jacked up with a bar on them yet.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Do you mean grinding sound rather than rattle ?

A rattle would indicate something clattering about, heat shield, dust shield on brakes etc

A grinding sound would be some rotary noise increasing with engine or vehicle speed. If its grinding is it linked to engine speed or vehicle speed. If its not driveshafts then maybe a shaft or bearing in the gearbox.

How often has the gearbox oil been changed.

13. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Defo a rattle an gets faster with engine speed. It's definitely in the engine somewhere but it can't be heard on tick over or just revving the car up at a stand still... its only under gentle acceleration from about 1500 onwards.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How well is the engine serviced ? Could be that the engine is pinking ?

If it is, then look for vacuum leaks, ignition or fueling problems.

15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would say perhaps its a stuck lifter, but since Honda engines are different to the Vauxhall/Isuzu engines I'm used to, then maybe not, could even be a damaged or worn rocker arm.

As @SpeedyGee says, when was the engine last serviced? (Done mine today, oil, filter and plugs for £30)

16. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Yea I do need to get rocker off an have a check around it. Got the oil an filter today for 18 quid all in so was a bit of a bargain lol. Decided on 5/30 semi

17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

sure thats what is supposed to go in, if its a fully synthetic oil, rather than semi, but changed mine for 10w40 semi, mines a wix filter as well. and as a numpty, but abit too much oil in, an had to drain some out :s.

18. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Pretty sure we've all done that before lol.

19. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Aye, I know I've done it on my old diesel Astra. Had to dive under it at 9:30pm just to make sure I did it and drained off the half a litre or so extra i had overfilled it by. the 1.8 and 2 litre, so I've found out take 4.3 litres to fill, but because I had the car on a slight slope, i stuck a whole 5 litres in to bring it up to level, oops

20. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Easily done mate. I got to check the ignition side of things to as it's hesitating under acceleration so will be checking cap arm an plugs etc at the same time as changing oil an filters