General braided brake hoses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chris2982, Thursday 16th Jul, 2015.

1. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    never had these before . . . do they actually make a noticeable difference? ?
    worth giving them a go??

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    OEM rubber ones, although generally lined with metal strands, flex when under pressure, braided brake hoses don't. Rubber ones are just fine for everyday normal person use, but will always have a certain amount of "spongeness" feel due to them naturally expanding ever so slightly when under pressure. Braided lines have no flex, so give a much more solid feel under braking. Normal OEM hoses won't really flex if you are driving normally, they only really flex under extreme pressure like regular hard braking.

Are they worth it - that depends on how you feel about the above. I've been meaning to install some myself, but never got round to it.

exec, Harvey and HondaHeritage like this.
  3. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

As nighthawk says.

Personally if you don't take your car on track then I wouldn't bother with changing the brake lines. Upgrading the pads would have a better effect on daily driving

HondaHeritage and Nighthawk like this.
  4. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Did you ever get these @chris2982
    Any improvements.
    Gonna do my whole rear end soonish

5. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

I decided not to bother with this,, I'm leaving it for when they need replacing I will get them..

I did find a manufacturer doing them for the FR-V for around 50 quid,, I will try and find out who it was again a d let you know

6. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

wezmoto, ,, on their site they were 54 quid when i was looking.. they are on eBay now but at 65.

7. Eureka Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Lancaster
    Many moons ago I built/rebuilt a kitcar and as part of the build rebuild I replaced the bushes for powerflex type and all the pipes including the flexy pipes.
    I replaced the flexy pipes with braided type hoses.
    In the next 10 years I owned the car the brakes were used quite hard, including on a track a few times, the only things needed were pad changes.
    I stuck with the standard type pads as the body the car was now in was a lot lighter than the original steel body so the brakes worked better than needed.

Did the brake pedal feel any different after everything was done. Nope not by any noticeable amount that's for sure.
    In fairness the OEM type rubber pipes were in good condition and I could have swapped them over but had already budgeted for the braided pipes/bushes and bought them previous to stripping the donor car down.
    In retrospect I could have saved a bit on the build by not changing bushes/pipes etc but given the condition of the body of the donor it was mechanically superb & a bit of a surprise.

If you can get them at a similar cost to OEM rubber pipes I don't see any reason not to use them.
    One thing to note is the ones I used looked a lot thinner than the OEM rubber pipes

Last edited: Sunday 17th Apr, 2016
  8. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    In going to do them as I'm a tart.
    I intend keeping the car forever and metal has to last longer then rubber?
    What if I hit a badger ok the Nurburg ring. The rubber could split.

But in all honesty I just want some pink pipes as they will look cool.

chris2982 likes this.