Suspension, Steering and Brakes Brake Bleeding

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by Pmcg, Wednesday 29th Aug, 2012.

1. Pmcg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi , I was wondering if anyone could tell me the sequence for bleeding the brakes on a 98 CR-V.
    I would normally use the old method furthest from the master cyl,but I have heard it has changed
    On vehicles with ABS.

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

On the Accord it's clockwise starting from nearside front, but don't know about the CR-V, someone else might though....?

3. Pmcg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your reply, I have had this advice from other forums which were left hand drive vehicles, but wondered if it was the same for r/h vehicles, don't know if they change the master cyl from one side to the other, probably not? Sounds logical, will give it a try sat
    morning and let you know how I get on LF RF RR LR
    Cheers!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Let me dig the 1st Generation CR-V bleed sequence image.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Here you for your UKDM 1998 Right hand drive RD1 is as follows

Repeat the procedure for each wheel in the sequence shown until air bubbles no longer appear in the fluid.

Honda CR-V RD1 Brake System Bleeding.JPG

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice one mate, I was a bit wide of the mark there LOL

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No one is perfect :Wink:

PMCG if you could do a DIY for other members . Lately the information given out to new members which not translating into threads to help the wider community.

It a case of thanks and bye, please do take time to invest back. Thanks.

8. Pmcg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

WOW , would never have thought of that' will give it a go Saturday ,weather permitting will let you know the results
    Thanks again
    Regards P.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  10. Pmcg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah , the joys of car maintenance . The plan for the weekend was to change the front discs, pads and calipers,unfortunately we hit a few problems, couldn't get the front discs off as the screws that hold them in were completely rusted in. Ended up changing the calipers and pads, after that we were going to bleed the brakes as per the sequence in ichiban's post, unfortunately both rear bleed nipples were rusted and couldn't get them undone for fear of snapping them off, we ended up bleeding the front only, which seemed to work well. I think the trick is to make sure you clamp the brake hose before you disconnect the calipers, that way fluid loss is minimal. I will have another crack at when I get a chance ,but that might be a while as I'm tied up for the next few months.

Cheers P.

11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks for the feedback.

Did you use an impact driver on the screws?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Try an impact driver or just a steel punch to notch the screws and my tapping them they will budge. once they are off you can replace the screws with new one.

13. Pmcg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes we did try an impact driver,not sure if I was using it properly,set it to anti clockwise and whacked it with a heavy hammer several times, tried it on other looser screws and it didn't seem to do much, maybe we need a better one.
    Will definitely try the steel punch
    Cheers p.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any joy with the screws bud?

15. Pmcg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Been in hospital, all went well, but its going to be a while(months) before I'm fit enough to get back to the brakes , but i'll let you know
    cheers
    P.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oh dear ,take care bud don't over do it.