General Brake Caliper Refurbishers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 2nd Dec, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  2. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Depends on what you want and if your going to buy remanufactured calipers for your car. Normaly most motor factors will get you calipers, but require your old ones as part exchange.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I just want to refurb the ones I have no exchange.

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Can you not refurb them yourself with new pistons and rings rather than send them away for someone else to do?

brian62c and Harvey like this.
  5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What I meant was motor factors supply reman calipers and charge a core charge until you bring back your old ones, which you don't have to do, it just costs more.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Brian Haverfordwest
    I got a remanufactured front caliper for the CR-V in the summer, just for convenience and because I'm not too brave about these things but to be honest I did wish afterwards I'd done it myself. I must confess I missed the deadline for returning my old one so it's stored away for me to play with at some point. Anyone have any opinions on what grease to use on the sliding bolts and, more to the point, where to get it? Also, it seemed impossible to get a new or refurbed carrier. Why so?

8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

According to everyone I've spoken to, you are supposed to use silicone paste on the slider bolts, I've used silicone grease instead which seems to work ok. Your right I have never seen reman carriers either, unless they come with a caliper from a factors.

brian62c and Nighthawk like this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

It is silicone grease/paste you should only use. Some people use copper grease but that apparently isnt too good for the rubber. and burns away after time with the heat from the calipers. Whenever I redo my brakes, I always use silicone grease.

DeviateDefiant and brian62c like this.
  10. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There is a YouTube video from ericthecarguy (American) which explains his reasoning for only ever using silicon paste but I could not find where to get any. Think the little sachet of stuff which came with the new caliper was silicon grease. Not enough of it either but just about did the job.

11. Nighthawk Guest

12. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Aha, yes Nighthawk - but not the paste.

13. Nighthawk Guest

Thats what I have used for a while now with no problems, however, a quick search found this:

brian62c likes this.
  14. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's the stuff. Wasn't available when I needed it - even at that rather extraordinary price. Might have to save my pocket money and get some in for future use. Cheers Nighthawk :Thumbup:

15. Nighthawk Guest

Must admit, crazy price for such a small amount....

16. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    You can buy it a bit cheaper from Amazon.com for $28 including import and delivery charges, thats where I bought mine.

I'll often add a couple of things that are equally overpriced to buy here, like the oxygen sensor socket or pulley tool or spill free funnel. It will increase import tax linearly, but delivery charges tend to be a few additional dollars per item (depending on the size/weight).

brian62c and Nighthawk like this.
  17. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Andy, good to know.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Here you go the full debate on this topic here General - Brake caliper slider pins

Also have a look at this thread Honda service departments advise on anding pads and best pratices Bulletins & Advisories - Advisements for Rear Brake Pad Replacement

I have don't use copper grease a lot these days use the correct grease for the correct application.