General Brake caliper slider pins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Service News, Saturday 7th Jul, 2012.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Interesting thread about M77 on sliders

M-77 Assembly Paste - Honda-Tech

From what I can see on the web, M77 is a moly type 'paste' for use on pads and shims, but silicone grease is more suitable for sliders.

This thread seems to confirm it...

Brake Lubricants

...as does the experience of myself and Doc with having slider pins caked in dried black gunk at the end, presumably molybdenum, plus consequent binding problems, evidently from using M77 or other moly on the sliders.

However I am not out the wood either because it seems that using red rubber grease on sliders like I have done (as recommended to me by a certain person on another forum - CJ can you guess this person?) is wrong because the melting point is too low.

Sooo....

....sometime in the next few weeks while we have the good summer weather :Aghast: I'm going to clean the red rubber grease off the pins and replace it with silicone grease (left over from my unsuccessful clutch squeak lube attempt) which seems to tick all the boxes:-

- high temperature

- rubber safe

- a wet not a dry lube

- repels water.

I think we've cracked it Holmes!!

Doc likes this.
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I see as well that the Permatex the Targa bloke says he uses says "Silicone Formula" on the label.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    So the black stuff on the slider pins, I'm guessing that's dried grease and worn rubber? Some of it I could scrape off but some of the marks required wire wool to remove.

Let us know your findings with the silicone grease as it's become apparent I need to replace my discs and pads and I'd like to lubricate the sliders when I do.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I like challenging norms I shall be waiting for your results Cliff.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The black stuff is called fretting corrosion the heat in the pins cause them to go black. I am lead to believe they have a high carbon content in the steel.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Right after month of research and trying to locate a Honda approve Silicone & Molybdenum based grease the wait is finally over..

You have the Honda Super Pad Grease which will do sliders, buy it before it discontinued. HH supplied me three tube which should last me a LONG time.

photo (2).

photo (1).

7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice one...they are good to you.

I put silicone grease on the fronts a few weeks back but left the red rubber on the rears for now because I didn't have time to take the rears apart.

I'm going to do an annual strip down and lube regime on all four brakes every Spring starting next year.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which grease did you use and from where? Yup plus one for year strip and clean, first day for Spring they should be done.

9. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Carlube silicone grease on the slider pins. Got it on ebay.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yup except in the bigger size.

12. altra12 New Member Getting Started

guide pins pian in *** can any one suggest were i can get a new pin from for the rear of my 2.3 Type-V 2001 . did a pad change found one of the pins had froozen up . looks like i am going to have to drill out wots left so need a new pin to replace . tried all my local factors but no luck. internet not bring me much luck either . alan

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Alan , slider pins are not something a breakers yard would sell as it wrecks the chances of selling the caliper and carrier as a set. Aftermarket one never seen on unless someone has one it will have to be the dealers on this .

14. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

+1

Personally I would just buy a second hand Honda OEM caliper from a breaker for £50 or a reconditioned one from one of the several firms on the internet that sells reconditioned Honda OEM ones rather than messing about with drills.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds