Suspension, Steering and Brakes Brake discs

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Sunday 22nd May, 2016.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Quick question; do genuine Honda discs have the non-contact areas painted or coated to prevent rust?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes they are painted in black, but with our weather (wet) it will start to corrode in 6-8 months, unless you re-coat it every year with high temperature paint when you do your brake maintenance.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Cheers, just wondering if I need to do some painting.

4. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I put some Mintex discs on the rear last year. The non-contact areas viewed through the wheel are rusty. What paint do you recommend? I wondered if I could just use something like this rust converter instead of paint Rust Converter 250ml - Toolstation I've tried this rust converter on outdoor ironwork and it works fine.

5. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

You can use a high temp paint like that used on calipers but many use hammerite. The critical factor is preparation. You need to remove all that rust, degrease and do a few coats of zinc primer followed by your paint of choice with something like a 1" brush. Make sure you mask off the face of the disc, though the interweb has quite a few barry's who just spray the whole damn thing working on the principle the pain on the disc face will come off the first time pads are applied..

sc489 likes this.
  6. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Pain being the operative word :Wink:

Surely this method simply contaminates Barrys pads