General Brake dust/splash shields

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Thursday 6th Oct, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi guys.

My brake splash shields are getting pretty tired now and one is almost at the point of falling off as they have rusted out so badly. Is it worth replacing them for the hastle it will cause or just leaving them off? if even replacement parts are available at all.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is what i have copied form the internet, make you own call mate. I would have them they are not for decoration.

In a modern automotive braking system, the brake dust shields tend to serve one main purpose: to prevent dust and debris from accumulating in the braking system. While this can obviously help prolong the life of brake components, are they absolutely necessary or can they be removed with minimal downsides?
    Winter Concerns

Winter driving in areas with extensive snow and road salting can be incredibly hard on your car, its braking system included. Your braking system must be able to smoothly operate in order to function properly, and by removing the dust shields either due to brake modifications or because of brake noise, corrosive road salt and mud can more easily enter the braking system. Because of this, corrosion is far more likely, resulting in safety concerns and increased chances of brake malfunction. In addition, should your brakes become extensively heated due to heavy use, icy water and snow from the road surface can be splashed up directly at the back of your brake rotor, resulting in potential warping or cracking in severe cases.
    Maintenance Concerns

Because dust and grime can more easily make its way into your braking system, prolonged use without a dust shield can lead to accelerated buildup of road grime and dirt. In severe cases, this can lead to malfunction and increased difficulty with maintenance. Brake dust is relatively easy to clean from a braking system, but dirt, sand and road grime can be substantially more difficult.

In relatively clean, dry areas with mild weather, removing your dust shields will not immediately cause any problems with your brakes, nor will it significantly shorten their lifespan. The same however, does not hold true in areas with extensively harsh weather or seasonal snowfall. In areas with heavy rain, dust or snow, removing your dust shields can accelerate corrosion and potentially lead to premature failure, so it's best to leave them equipped whenever possible in these cases.

exec and Harvey like this.
  3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A nice informative article @Ichiban I would like to have them back as stated in the article they are not for decoration. I will have to check with Gareth to see if they are available, if not then I can't replace them. plus it would be a PITA to do.

exec likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    some low mileage 6th Generation will out there mate with them on it

Harvey likes this.
  5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hopefully there will be.

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Worth it considering the protect the main safety system of the car.

Harvey likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Thinking out loud here ... wonder if you can adapt 7th Generation one to fit ? Would surely be better than battered ones or none at all.

exec likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good idea @SpeedyGee try retrofitting newer model ones to the older car. I bet its only a case of redrilling some holes

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I'm quite sure you can still get them. There not that bad to replace, you need to strip down the brakes obviously and a bit of "adjustment" to the new shield in order to slip arround the knuckle. Get new securing screws and tap them round with a small sharp chisel.

Harvey, legend-ary and exec like this.
  10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers for that @Beefy. I'll look into getting replacement dust shields and new screws. Though I suspect the existing screws would need lots of penetrating oil to get them loose.