Guides Brake Fluid Change using a Pressure Brake Bleeder

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Friday 6th Apr, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    To effectively flush old brake fluid out your Honda Accord you will need in 1.5 to 2 litres of brake fluid to ensure the entire system is flushed of its old brake fluid.
    Now there are many methods you can bleed the system or flush the system, these are few of the techniques
    1) The traditional method of building pressure by pumping the brake pedal once the pedal is firm ,open the brake nipple on the wheel side to release the fluid. Then its a simple nip up the brake nipple and repeated the process again until you are satisfied all air and physically see fresh fluid starts to come through.It is a cumbersome process and requires two people to complete and then there is the fact it takes forever to complete. Whilst this is all happening you have to ensure the brake reservoir has to be topped up with fresh fluid.

2) Using compressed air and a pneumatic brake bleeder which creates suction to suck fluid from the brake bled nipple end. The good thing doesn't require two people it less stressful but still have to keep an eye on the brake reservoir and ensure it’s always topped with fresh fluid. (Honda garages use this as they have large air compressors with huge tanks) The tool itself is not expensive but a compressor with sufficient tank does make it an expensive solution for the hobbyist or the average DIYers.

3) Using a special cap which clamps onto the brake reservoir mouth and using air from a tyre, the downfall there is no specific Honda cap and using generic caps with straps to ensure an airtight seal. It involves faffing around and worst you have to remove the cap to keep brake reservoir topped up. This is used by a lot DIYers and who care not to fuss with the constant removing of the cap. I personally don’t like using air from a tyre which is already laden with moisture and that is just contaminating the fresh brake fluid with air which smells of rubber!! It is the cheapest solution here among all five options.

4) Using pressure brake bleeder with a custom made cap and pressure bleeder which ensure the system will never run dry and is truly a one man operation with no hassle or fuss, it pressurises the entire system and even chases air out of the ABS unit if trapped. The downfall it expensive but will repay for itself in three years in saving from labour chargers. Operates off 12 volts supply - car's own battery No compressed air used, therefore no possibility of contamination of the fluid.

5) There are other hand held vacuum pumps and other gadgets out there which will do the job with varying success.
    I wanted a tool which will do the job every year without no fuss and do it the right way, I have three cars and every year they get a brake fluid flush. The alba tool has repaid already repaid itself. I bought the Alba ALB560 Pressure Brake Bleeder with a custom made cap thanks for Alba who made the custom cap for me.
    AOCUK Alba Brake Bleed (1). photo(10). AOCUK Brake Bleed custom cap 2. AOCUK Brake Bleed custom cap 3. AOCUK Brake Bleed custom cap. AOCUK Brake Bleed the cap kit.. AOCUK Brake bleeder all set to go.
    Using this syringe you remove all the fluid until the lower mark, the brake reservoir had a two step internal mould making the lower part independent and ensures the bottom is never low. Look at the dirty fluid after a year of use. You still want to change your fluid every two year.. I don't think so .
    Using fresh 250ml Ultra DOT 4 topped up the reservoir it will take a tad under 250ml to the brim. Then attach the custom cap to the mouth and attach the pipe from the pressure bleeder.
    AOCUK brake fluid cap. AOCUK brake fluid cap off strainer. photo (2). photo(17). AOCUK Fluid removed from brake reservoir 250ml removed..
    AOCUK Fluid removed from brake reservoir. AOCUK Honda Genuine ultra dot4.
    Then Fill the brake bleeder with fresh fluid.note the bleeder has a float which will cut the pressure if the unit runs low. Kept a few bottle next to the bleeder so they are close by and can top up on the fly.
    AOCUK Brake bleeder without cap and topped up with ultra dot3. AOCUK Pressure cap hose. AOCUK Brake bleeder (1).
    Now the system is all prepared next jack the car up and get the brake nipples all clean to attach the brake bleeder bottle with a one way valve.Using brake cleaner cleaned the threads of the nipple with a shift brush to avoid contamination of grit
    AOCUK Brake nipple cleaning gear. photo(1). photo(6). AOCUK Brake Bleed bottle with attachment and oneway valve. AOCUK brake bleed bottle.
    Using red grease I smeared a small lip around the nipple thread to avoid bubbles being formed , I also tapped the caliper to get all the bubbles within the caliper see the picture with the bubbles in the pipe.
    AOCUK brake fluid removed from. AOCUK brake blled bottle attached. photo(4). photo(3).
    Both Tourer were bleed with this method in three hours flat that included the tidying up and putting everything away.
    One small request to Honda please make a bigger tub of brake fluid look at the amount of bottles I had to open.
    AOCUK Genuine Honda Brake Fluid. AOCUK Genuine Honda Brake Fluid inside.
    hondream likes this.
  2. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    I'm close to buying this machine also. The main issue when a garage does a brake fluid change they only use a little bit of brake fluid to change fluid . Most often only 0.25 litre , but we all know that to do it properly you are going to need 1.5 to 2 liter for the job. Therefore to do it properly the easiest way is trust yourself and do it yourself. It an expensive piece of equipment but we have 3 Hondas in the house then it will eventually work out ok and I will know brake fluid is fresh in each car. Can anyone advise is the 55mm alba cap the correct one? There is a slightly larger one also available..
  3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I've just ordered 2l from HH. It's not the cheapest brake fluid but like to keep with Honda fluids.