1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There's no doubting we see quite a few brake issues with the 7th and 8th Generation Accords.

These include binding caused by sticking pads, caliper pistons not retracting, and brake pipes degrading.

As I'm on my fifth Honda in the last 20 years (if like me you count a Rover 214 as a re-badged Concerto with a K-series engine inside), I've got used to rock solid reliability, so I'm asking myself, 'what's it all about'? (Alfie)

I'm coming round to the opinion that this isn't a design or manufacturing issue at all...it's a servicing and maintenance issue.

I've already said on another thread that I was unhappy about the state of the brake fluid which came out of my car despite it having followed a 12.5k mile service regime as specified by Honda...

brake fluid 1.

...because Honda don't pull any punches on this...they say REPLACE the brake fluid every 3 years, as a MINIMUM requirement...

...but then in the words of the brilliant Oliver Stone in his film Platoon, as delivered by the Tom Berenger character "There's the way it ought to be, and there's the way it is..."...

...the way it should be is that replacing the fluid completely in the 7th Generation uses just short of 2 litres...

...but the way it is as explained to me by CJ is that no way would the customer, especially the fleet manager, wear the price of those 8 x 250 ml bottles on their service invoice, so the garage will put just 2 x 250ml through...

...so it's no wonder there is so much clag in the fluid!

I also think these brakes, with their annual exposure to British winter salt, need a good old dismantle, clean up, plus new copper grease on the pads and red rubber grease on the sliders, every 2 or 3 years as well, but that's not on the service schedule, not that the punters would wear it either if it was.

In fact with the back brakes you might even be talking about new pads and discs every 2 or 3 years to keep them tip top...I had to do that with the rears on my 6th Generation....but in all the time I owned that car, I never had any binding issues at all. The only issue I ever had was grinding from corrosion on the fronts, after using cheapo aftermarket front discs once...the OEM front discs that were on before that didn't do it.

I'm not pointing any fingers of blame here. I'm just looking at causes. Stone was right, we live in the real world, and money isn't a bottomless pit.

But on the other hand, if you've got your own socket set and you're not tied to a company service regime which prevents you from touching the car, you have more scope to take this sort of thing into your own hands....and do it properly.

I have an occasional binding issue on one wheel at present. I'm fairly sure it's a sticky slider pin, which Adam from Holdcroft Honda spotted for me when he checked my brakes over at the HH open day this last October. OEM pads and discs go on all wheels next Spring, plus a decent clean-up, lube, and FULL brake fluid replacement every two years from now on.

If my theory is right, I probably won't have any brake issues in the future, at least until things wear out altogether...

Time will tell.

Last edited: Thursday 29th Dec, 2011
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Totally agree with everything you have said here, Honda breaking system and the British weather are both not compatabile. The disc and the pads are so prone to sticking and the rust build up on the rear discs cause sticking and drag. I am of the same opinion the brake fluid should be changed every year with a healthy two litre flush, all four discs should be stripped and cleaned and lube up.

I do it every 6 months form the front end, the ATR slider pins are prone to heat build-up causing them to stick. And once a year for the rear end .I don't see any abnormal wear nor rust lips and it noise free. If you park your car outside and exposed to a lot of rain then the discs do tend to get rusty in 24 hours. Try covering the wheel with the transit covers like the ones on new cars. Honda ship all new card to dealers with white transits caps these are ideal to safeguard the discs from rust. They do look a bit naff and everyone passing by looks at it ..but it does the job really well.

I got hold of four white wheel covers which came off an 18 inch wheel CR-V, the dealer throw them away after PDI, I use them when the car is laid up and exposed to the elements. I don’t get the any corrosion by this method.

I have an alba pressurised brake bleeder with a custom Honda brake cap which operates around 14-20 psi pressure.I also have brake fluid tester which check the boiling temperature and calculates the water content. Have a read of this excellent article it shows the importance of brake fluid and how underestimated it is when it come to routine servicing. . Honda USA approves alba products and I can vouch for their reliability and excellent after sales support. I had a small issue with the pressurised caps which came with the kit, the alba engineers made me a custom cap free of cost within 48 hours. Brilliant!

Any registered AOC member who wants a pressurised brake bleed for no cost please contact me I will be happy to show the system how it works and get a brake flush too.I hope people start to change their brake fluid a bit more frequently.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    DIY thread on this brake bleed is coming soon. I will have the Jazz to do .