Suspension, Steering and Brakes Brake lines (corrosion) and Exhausts

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by synaesthesia, Saturday 23rd Feb, 2013.

1. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Hi again folks :Smile:

Decided to tackle a couple of MOT things before that's due in July this year.

First and foremost is brake lines. For the last 3 years I've had an advisory on corrosion to brakelines yet they've always said they'd last a good time anyway. Is there something I should or could do to help this - or even cover them (thinking a braided metal material) that would prevent further corrosion and negate the need to replace them.

Second is exhaust. I've just spent the morning pretty much painting a 3 year old exhaust with gun gum. Where the pipe joins the backbox is literally being held on by a single rusty centimetre of metal! I've fitted a joint repair thingy to it and again coated liberally in the slimy stuff so it lasts a week and a bit until I get a whole new setup, but one thing I notice from most exhaust peddlers (and not wishing to spend an absolute fortune at a garage) is that they never come with the relevant gaskets. Are said gaskets universal things I'll be able to pick up from any factors, or are they quite specific? (basically just need gaskets that join center pipe to the CAT and center pipe to the backbox).

Many thanks as usual :Smile:

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They are not universal as different sizes and the bolt holes are all in different places.
    That said any good exhaust supplier should have them.

As for the brake lines they will always pick them up as an advisory, but they are unlikely to rust through.
    I wouldn't cover them with anything all you'll do is trap the moisture and accelerate the corrosion.
    You could clean them up and paint them. But it would be quicker to replace the lines.
    Personally I'd keep an eye on it and take it from there.

Last edited: Saturday 23rd Feb, 2013
  3. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Righto, turns out the exhaust gaskets are not specifically gaskets, rather "compressible O-rings".
    I assume they just fit around the holes between the flanges and "compress" when the bolts are tightened?

4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Exhaust gaskets come in all different kinds.
    Some are rings which slides over exhaust between two brackets. Some are flat aluminium metal gaskets which compress between two brackets. Not really o rings though.

5. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    aye these are just rings of light metal. Parts CEG93 and EMG010.

Last edited: Sunday 3rd Mar, 2013
  6. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Bah. Some auto factors get on my nerves, both said o-rings were rubbish and I do indeed need proper gaskets. Local factor had one (cat to midpipe) thankfully, but the ring on the back is just making it blow like nuts. Gun-gum for the rest of this week then will put a proper gasket on it. Why is it SO bloody difficult with my car to get people to realise what part I need. They always get the reg plate and year/details and ALWAYS get the wrong parts because they don't understand that it's NOT the 94-98 model (I do specifically say it's the 99 model even on an S plate to help but they tend to ignore me in a "We know best!" attitude.
    Gits.

7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Best bet would be to get them from Holdcroft Honda.
    At least you know you're getting the right ones then. They won't be very much.

8. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Managed to pick the right ones up easily enough already. Just gotta fit that next weekend when I can find a flat surface to do it on :Grin:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hallo bud,

Just looked up this info the exhaust gaskets are not all size fit all the prices are maximum retail price. You can get them slight cheaper via our club affiliate. I don't believe motor factors for anything Honda TBH they are a total waste of time, just ask here we love Honda's:Wub:

Item 10 18212-SB2-961 GASKET, EX. PIPE (ISHINO) £4.34
    item 17 18303-SM4-020 GASKET, SILENCER £0.0.1
    Item 18 18393-SH3-S00 GASKET, PRE-CHAMBER (52.5MM-53.5MM) £4.34
    Item 19 18393-SS0-J30 GASKET, PRE-CHAMBER (57.5MM-58.5MM) £4.34

AOCUK Accord  1.8 se exhaust.

10. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Legend, cheers. Those also show o-ring type fittings. So confused :Frown:

It's nice and dry today, will probably do mine this afternoon. I'll keep the above for future reference though, cheers :Smile: Bit annoyed I appear to have the only service manual on the planet without any part numbers on it!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which service manual do you have ? a Workshop or Owners manual will not have an reference to parts numbers

Have a look at this site http://hondakarma.com/threads/3158/

those gaskets are round so they are not technically o'rings.:Wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  12. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Sorry to dig this thread up again. Got the relevant round gaskets which I was told are "compression gaskets". However in practice, the only thing that's changed is the flanges appear to have bent around the gasket... :/ Seems odd that both types are readily available. Is there something I'm likely to have done wrong, or shall I just get a flange gasket and be done with it? I'd rather not fill the blowing with more paste if I can help it.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I take these are aftermarket gaskets hence the doubt? can you get some images up so we can look at the flanges and the gaskets?

14. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Can't get an image of the actual items - the flanges are exactly as you posted in your parts diagram. The gaskets I got, unfortunately I can't remember the part number nor have any documentation to that effect. The nearest pic I can find to the sort of thing it is:
    http://goo.gl/lYWZA
    Hollowing feeling alu circle which they told me compresses between the flanges. Either that wasn't the case or it was just cack! I was expecting something like http://goo.gl/XiaJh

There was a similar (slightly larger) o-ring compression gasket thingy supplied for the midpipe to CAT which was pretty much the same, but our factors did actually have a proper flange gasket for that (hence some confusion)
    That gasket can be seen FK90072B EXHAUST CAT Fitting Kit HONDA ACCORD 2.2i VTEC ROVER 620 623 4/93-2/99 | eBay (far left in pic)