Suspension, Steering and Brakes Brake Master Cylinder

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by altoricky, Wednesday 22nd Feb, 2012.

1. altoricky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Hi all,

Has anyone here replaced/overhauled a brake master cylinder on the 2.2 I-CDTI? Mine is starting to lose the ability to maintain pedal pressure so will require remedial work soon.

They look pretty pricey from Honda so I was wondering if anyone knows a source for sensibly priced aftermarket units?

Anyone ever overhauled one? I've done it on older cars in the past with great success, but my guess is that the hydraulic pressure levels are much higher in modern cars so I don't know if that is a realistic option. There's a company on ebay selling overhaul kits for around £20.

Also any tips on the removal procedure? My manual only covers the LHD petrol version which is not entirely dissimilar but if there is anything to watch out for its good to know in advance.

Thanks

Richard

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is a first to hear a brake master cylinder being faulty.Are you sure the system is bleed correctly and with fresh fluid? That is also dependent how the other components in the braking system are performing .i.e hoses, calipers, VSA module. I won't expect any of the 7th Generation Accords to show such symptoms as of yet.

3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Richard what's the exact symptoms. If its that when sitting with the engine running and you put your foot on the brake pedal, you find it creeps, mine does that. Although my braking efficiency is spot on.

4. altoricky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Thanks for your reply Rob.

The pedal feels soft when I brake and the stopping power feels less than it should be. If I double pump the pedal comes up solid and the stopping power increases. If, with the engine running, I pump the pedal it goes solid initially then quickly goes soft and creeps down towards the floor by at least a couple of inches. I haven't measured it precisely but the fact that it creeps that far and pumps up means, in my book, there is something not right.

5. altoricky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Thanks for your reply CJ.

Hoses and calipers appear to be all OK. No signs of any leaks. Mention of the VSA however made me think a bit more and a bit of research turned this up on Google.

"Some VSA modulators were assembled in a manner that could allow air intrusion, making it possible for air to enter the modulator during the VSA self-check mode. While only a miniscule amount of air can enter the system during each check, over a period of months or years, the air will accumulate and can result in the "soft brake pedal" or "low brake pedal" condition symptoms associated with this issue. Although not all vehicles being recalled are affected by this issue, we are recalling all possible units to assure all customers that their vehicles will perform correctly."

Although it is from a US forum and describes symptoms on a 2008 Honda Odyssey it makes me think it could be air in the system. Initially I dismissed this idea as there hasn't been any work done on the brakes whilst I've had the car, the fluid level hasn't needed topping up and the symptoms weren't there when I got the car.

So it looks like the first step is to bleed the brakes and replace the fluid at the same time. However if it turns out the VSA modulator needs replacing the its goodbye Accord!!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What your car ideally needs is a full flush with fresh brake fluid and take it from there.

7. altoricky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Yeah, I think you're right. So down to Honda for some brake fluid and hope the weather is good this weekend.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For a proper flush you will need 2 litres of brake fluid and whilst you doing that you can also replace the clutch master cylinder fluid.

Keep us posted.