Suspension, Steering and Brakes Brake Pads - Query

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by gazz, Saturday 2nd Mar, 2013.

1. gazz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

I took the motor in for some tyres and rear discs and pads a couple of weeks ago. Anway, long story short the rear passenger started sticking and was getting hot. Garage cleaned the caliper up and put new pads in.

However, can anyone confirm if the rear pads should have two locating pins/moulds on the back of the pads - please see the following picture?

20130302_142720_zps8b6dd90e.

Essentially one of the pins (the one in the middle) seems to sit on the out edge of the piston, pushing the pad on an angle and causing it to stick.

The car is a Type-S Tourer 2003.

Cheers,

Gazz.

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They've put the wrong pads in Gaz.
    The saloon needs the pin but the Tourer doesn't.
    Quick fix is to grind off the pin flush.
    A garage that changed my broken handbrake cable did the same a few years back to mine.
    The idiots couldn't workout what was wrong until I had a look.
    Your caliper will stick again if the wrong pads are in as it throws the piston off square.

Racy Jace likes this.
  3. gazz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply. I hack sawed off on both sides. Pad now sitting flush...I asked the garage to look again this morning and they refused as they said I needed a new caliper and wanted a few hundred. I actually bought the caliper today to fit myself, luckily the motor factor gave me the saloon version and I took it back...saved me some money to put toward the full stainless exhaust.

I think I will pay them a visit on Monday and tell them I want new pads and disks...as the rear passenger has been getting quite hot...I don't believe they have warped but I paid for new disks and pads.

I love this forum.

Cheers,

Gaz.

4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No probs Gaz.
    I'd find a new garage probably as well if they refused to have another look.
    It's not rocket science, there's nowhere for the pin to seat.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have you got any further with this Gaz ?

6. gazz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Speedy,

No unfortunately I have been busy in work. I intend to go in on Saturday and find out what they are going to do to rectify the problem and compensate me.

Cheers,

Gazz.