General Brake Pads - strange one

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 10th Jul, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just noticed something strange with the front brake pads on the Accord, but they appear to be worn in the middle (almost like a concave effect) when inspecting whilst they are installed? I can't find anything online to show this but I can't imagine how this could have happened. It would seem that only the outer parts are actually making contact with the disc - which could explain why the brakes don't feel particularly sharp. The rears look fine.

I haven't take them off yet to inspect properly but any ideas what this could be?

I've Photoshopped another photo to kind of show what I mean.

Brake%20Pad.

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    (still can't get the hang of this full size picture thing, have to keep going back in and edit it)

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate that picture make no sense can you take a better picture? I can see a pad shim clearly the rest is a blur? The image you have inserted is in full size dude.

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    That pic is a photoshop representation of what was seen, so not the actual pad. I guess the pad off and inspected will give a better photo and indication.

5. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I think I know what you mean, but I find it very hard to believe unless your disks were somewhat fatter in the middle, perhaps warped? then again you'd feel that straight away under braking and at high speeds lol

If these are brand new could be a dodgy batch, but surly if so the engineers fitting them would of picked up on it?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I'll wait for a proper picture bud. Does the car brake in a straight line? @Chrispy sorry dude pads are uniformly built even the cheapo one uneven wear is sonmthing which need investigating.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think it's the same pads that came with the car. Perhaps it's just the design and it's just the edge I can see whilst on the car. Brakes straight and no juddering etc. I think I'll need to get the wheel off and check properly.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Well to me it actually makes sense why it would happen. Considering your Accord has single pot brakes, there's a single piston pushing the pad against the disc directly in the center. As it's the center of the pads which has the pressure on it to make contact with the disc - that's what is where the wear on the pad is happening.

If the above is correct, I would postulate that your particular pads backing material isn't very rigid, and the flexibility of it is what just allows the center part to make proper contact and not the entire friction surface of the pad. There's also the possibility that the sides of the pad are stuck against the caliper (not greased correctly when installing) and hence why just the center is pushed in to make contact.

Either way, I'd just swap out the pads for OEM, Brembo, or if you're looking for a better bite even something like high-end Mintex, Ferodo DS2500 or Hawk HPS - check the pads periodically to see if the same uneven wear is occurring.

Just my two pence, I'm not the most mechanically minded so I might have got this all wrong.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That does make sense cheers. Probably cheap pads, will investigate!

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I just remembered all the discs and pads were fitted recently and are all genuine Honda.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I wouldn't think that there would anything holding the pad back strongly enough for the pad to bend forward @DeviateDefiant

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Had a closer look and it's all fine, it's the design of the pads which makes it look strange when viewing lol

You can see the design here:

auto-part-honda-accord-cd5-front-brake-pads-45022-sv4-a00.

Here's a photo of the pad on my car, when viewing it though it's difficult to see the middle bit which has contact and you only really see the bit I've marked in red - hence the apparent bevel effect!

Phew! lol

Brake%20Pad%20on%20Accord.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    A right is that what you meant :Smile:

Yes that's by design

14. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    You know you want to wire brush them up and paint them red :Wink:

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Believe it or not, I'd already treated them with black enamel paint just last year. May revisit them.

16. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Well now I'm worried, I've just done mine in red, and well you couldn't even tell you did yours, let alone a year ago! :Tongue:

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Well thank god for that @ArcticFire, one of the stranger things I'd heard with brakes!

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    "A picture is worth a thousand words" that is a chamfered on the leading edge of the front discs to minmise brake squeal. That is normal fella.