Suspension, Steering and Brakes Brake pedal feel?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Kris81, Wednesday 15th Jul, 2015.

1. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi guys, I have just changed my O/S/R
    Caliper due to handbrake sticking on.
    I got a reconditioned unit, looks brand new.
    Now it's on and after we have bled every caliper I'm not sure if the pedal feels right?

Problem is I've been driving my other car for 2 weeks straight and now I can't remember what the brake pedal was like on the accord before!

It feels like I'm pressing the pedal for about an inch maybe more before I feel it slowing me down then the pedal goes a little stiffer and brakes as it should.

At slow speeds u can feel the brakes coming on ever so gently in that first inch or so but when at 30 or 40mph it's like o I need to press it some more!.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Sounds like there is still air in the system, what method did you use to bleed?

3. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Started at just the caliper we changed, then decided to do all of them, and followed the haynes manual which said start at front left front right back right back left.
    Me in the car pumping the pedal, held down while my dad unscrews the bleed nipple, nipple tightened then pump pedal again and so on, I would say we had about 200 to 300ml of fluid come out overall, which we were topping up as we went.

4. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

I thought 1 front and 1 rear were linked, could that have a bearing?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  6. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks @SpeedyGee , that was the order in which we bled them as it says the same in the haynes manual.

How much travel does everybody else have before getting noticeable bite?

My pedal is soft for an inch or so then becomes noticeably harder to press (more like u would expect a brake pedal to feel).

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You should have a firm feel to the pedal by that I mean somewhere in between a soft, spongy feel and a rock hard one. It will become more firm the more you press.

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I remember cj giving me advice for my CR-V with a similar issue. He reckoned it could also be a bit of glazing and to do a few emergency stops to clear it up. Worked a treat.

9. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Me and my dad bled them all again, he said we got some air out of the new caliper we have fitted.
    Just been out and tested and it feels good, back to how it was.

While I was there I found some old hammerite in my dad's garage so painted the calipers while we had all the wheels off here's some pics
    DSC_000001.JPG
    Dirty brakes

DSC_0206.JPG
    Cleaned up with a chipping hammer and wire wheel on a drill

DSC_0207.JPG
    Better than it was!

DSC_0209.JPG
    I bet it's double that price now!
    I was hoping for more black crackle effect in the silver, but nevermind.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good job :Thumbup:

Only thing with Hammerite is that it will dull out as it doesn't handle heat well.

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It was a Freeby so can always do again! Lol.

Now I think about it I've never had a car long enough for the paint to dull!