Suspension, Steering and Brakes Brake reservoir ran dry:Bleeding

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by redefined_cycles, Wednesday 10th Jun, 2015.

1. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just a quick Q people. During my rear discs and calipers overhaul, I rebuilt the calipers with new seals. Had to leave the car overnight with a caliper off and brake line clamped off. In the morning I noticed all fluid had leaked out and the reservoir was empty.

So, the Q is. Can I still get away with a full standard sequence brake bleed at the calipers (all 4) until all air has flushed through, or is there something else needing to be done???

Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's about it, standard brake bleed procedure but have plenty of brake fluid to hand, it can be rather tricky to bleed a brake system that has been drained totally.

Air will accumulate in the ABS pump and will probably take fair bit of time to get that out.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @Speedy. I read on CJ guide that 2 Litres of dot4 is enougg to flush a whole system... will that still be the case?? Much appreciated by the way

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You'll be depending on the "feel" of the brake pedal to determine if you have got all the air out. So it could actually be more.

Also once you think you're done, you want to go for a drive and see how the ABS system is, if it throws up a warning light, then there is still air in the pump, so you will need to go back and repeat the bleeding.

5. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

All done. Speedy thanks again mate. Basically I just bled the living daylights out of them and went rou d continuously with my dad (notice the capital D cos it was his house garage where I worked behind... in between being asked: "is that my torque wrench" and nicking my bench vice from my car which he once gave me but must've forgot!) in the car. I asked him to do a combo of slow and hard presses. Thanks to which I noticed the brake pipes were not clamped tight enough.

Anyhow, took around 1.7L of fluid and thats well after the bubbles were all gone (the brake fluid was pretty fresh anyhow from last brake pad change 6 months ago).

Erm, also renewed the gearbox oil with original MTF-3 again and its now smooth (almost as) butter again. Basically I just conducted my own little experiment for the benefit of readers. Around 7 months ago, after a recent clutch change, the clutch was not smooth. I could not afford the time to wait for some MTF from Holdcroft and also wanted to confirm the theory of MTF being best.

So, I bought some genuine Comma Manual Transmission fluid with all the extra additives (sybchromesh etc) and the one that was recommended on the Comma website for our cars. The shifting became a little smoother after removing the slosh that the gearbox people or a local mechanic had put in (got some original MTF-3 when I bought the car and asked a local mechanic to pop it in... he obviously didn't as he claimed it took all 3L... but thats another long story...) 7 months or 15 months earlier, depending on which of my theories above is correct.

So, getting back to the Comma gearbox oil. It made the shifting a little smoother but still not.like it was originally. Especially going into 5th (quite harsh engagement) and into 2nd(a little harsh). Now the renowned MTF3 is back in (with my own bare hands) I can confirm. HONDA, you are absolutely correct, your gearboxes don't like other transmission oils ( based on my research involving 1 car!).

The gears are cranking in pretty nicely again and no crunch from 4th to 5th....

Peace people and well done for choosing Honda. Honda too, thanks for adding most of the standard maintenance procedures in the manual which can be deciphered by the good people at HK and Typeaccord) and brought to the simpletons like myself...

Bloody good job WOT!:gohonda:

6. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh yeah. I forgot. A special thanks to CJ too for managing to dig out all sorts of (what seems like) shop manual blueprints and uploading them as pdf. What a good chap...