Service & Maintenance brakes, gotta love them.

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Saturday 28th Jun, 2014.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As the title saya, you gotta love brakes, especially when they work.

spent the last two days getting absolutely soaked with all the rain we have had here at the moment.
    I had to run to the scrap yard and get a second hand caliper, which was in better condition than the one that came off as it was completely seized up.

got some new pagid discs and pads installed, the hardest part was getting the handbrake cable out of caliper bracket.

20140628_171921.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 29th Jun, 2014
    Ichiban, AndyB1976 and Chunkylover53 like this.
  2. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I will have more pictures of the install, but this message was posted from my phone and it wasnt playing ball.

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Yeah I think a few of us have had to battle to get the cable free from the caliper bracket. Vice grips and a penetrating oil got mine released:Wink:.

4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Your not far wrong their mate.
    This started off a few weeks agonwhen I proceeded to check ans free off all the slider pins on the calipers, they are all stuck. But with being busy and having crap weather as well I hadn't continued.
    The first part of the install went well, got thr passenger side disc fitted ECT, pads ready to go on. It wasnt until I went to rewind the piston did I notice how knackered it was. It worked, but just, the end was so rusty and corroded it would not rewind and if I could have rewound it, it would have made things worse. The hardest part of taking the calipers off though as you say is the handbrake cable, I had to get a drift punch and hammer the thing out. But everything swapped over ok, but the gravity bleeding didn't work so good, need to bleed the brakes properly.

20140628_171930.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 29th Jun, 2014
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That piston looks like it's not been cared for, for years !
    Good job you're dealing with it now.
    What's the other side look like ?

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Weirdly its fine, dust boot present, wound back in no trouble, even the one from the scrappy wound in fine, the boot stuck to the piston, but peeled it back and freed it off and its fine again, if a little raged.
    I think the worst bit about the entire job though as stated was the handbrake cable. That and the dust guard on the drivers side fell off because it was so rusted through it made swiss cheese look solid.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good stuff Harvey, those brakes really did need in dire need of some TLC.

So they are all sorted now ?

8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They certainly where @SpeedyGee everything was seized up, or rusted up, but now all is good, I just need someone to give me a hand to bleed the brakes properly as I now have a spongy pedal, but everything else works as it should.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Bleeding the brakes can be done on your own.
    You just need one of the little brake bleed kits.

10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Nels , yes it can, but i don't have one of those kits at the moment.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If I was still covering Oswestry, I'd have given you a hand, but alas, no more.
    Halfords, Penda Retail Park are showing stock of Vizbleed @ £5.99. Open utill 5pm today.

Vizbleed.

Do you know the bleed sequence for your car?
    I'm not sure if anyone has posted it up for a 6th Generation saloon yet.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    WSM may say something different but you can't really go wrong with starting at furthest corner away from master cylinder and working towards closest.

Last edited: Sunday 29th Jun, 2014
    PeteMM likes this.
  13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for that every one, I must have spent half an hour wandering around Halford looking for one of them. Not that I asked anyone as they where all busy. I'm friendly with pretty much everyone there too which is a bonus and have a trade card.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tourette DOT com... @"£# me those discs are the worst I have ever seen !! Have they done a millions miles with the surface to peel off to cast iron! Any news on the replacement bud?

15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hey guys, I have news for you.

The brake job, asside from having to swap a caliper over went smoothly and with no other incidents, I must say it makes a marked improvement over the aesthetics and also braking performance with new discs and pads fitted.

Here are both sides of the discs after I removed them.
    20140628_171921_zpsadfe1f20.
    20140628_171906_zps37baea7e.

@Ichiban No they had not done millions of miles at all to get to that condition, just suffered major lack of maintenance over the years, there was an advisory on the last MOT to say the discs where badly pitted and scored but not dangerous or whatnot, but to be honest not sure how trustworthy that MOT station might have been.

The reason for the defective brakes was primarily due to stuck caliper slider pins, drivers side was stuck, but freed up easily, but the passenger side was so bad, I had to make a dash to the scrappy to get some replacement pins, this was a few weeks ago, as I had decided to make a start at lubricating things up and freeing them off, as I had also noticed the front brakes where not working properly either, due to the pads being seized in on the passenger side, due to a rust build up under the anti rattle shims that prevented the pads from moving at all.

It was not helped by the fact the passenger side caliper was seriously corroded, missing its dust boot and almost completely seized up.

20140628_171930_zps821c166c.

But after another dash to the scrappy to get a replacement, luckily a working one and getting absolutely soaked in the torrential rain I got it all back together and working like new!
    I didn't really have to bleed the brakes fully either as I gravity bled the passenger rear caliper and the pedal is nice and firm, working well.

20140629_111758_zps32cc1041.
    20140629_111813_zps44bb785f.

I did have to cable tie both handbrake cables though as the retaining bolts snapped. even with lots of WD40, but I don't have a blow torch for heat or an impact gun.

And the dust shield fell off the drivers side, cus it was so rotten, it mad swiss cheese look solid!
    FB_IMG_1403968227089_zps26eb4e68.
    And just to add copper grease was only applied to the brake pads moving surfaces, while I used Silicone grease on the slider pins, Idealy I need silicone paste, but can't find any here.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You want m77 ideal for pads silicone will wash away bud. Silicone works best went it concealed and out of the elements like slider boots.

17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Copper grease was only used on the pads, the silicone grease was used on the slider pins only mate.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bud copper grease accelerates a chemical reaction which render the metal prone to rust . M77 is sticky and none of this chemical reaction will occur, see my post with big brake no copper grease used only m77.