General Brakes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SayamaAccord, Sunday 13th May, 2012.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Changed the brakes and pads on all four wheels on my 7th Generation Tourer yesterday.

I took some pics of the fronts so I’ll get them posted in the next week or two.

I used Honda parts bought from Holdcroft at their special prices available to AOC members (cheers lads)....and decided to leave the “drilled/grooved/slotted/with a pic of Jensen Button on” ones for the children.

The fronts were straighforward enough.

It was a bit of a carry on getting the rear discs off...one of them took the best part of an hour, trying various options like the trusty hammer and screwing bolts in the discs, and cost me about £400 in the swearbox...but it came off in the end just by repeated pulling and pushing. There is an adjuster inside the drum to loosen the handbrake pads, but it was Catch 22...I didn't know where to look for it through the inspection hole because I'd not done one before and I couldn't get the *!&%$"@ disc off to find it LOL. The other back one only took about 5 mins though.

What I found most interesting is that doing the job kind of confirmed to me the theory I posted here that many of these Accord brake issues probably arise just through lack of TLC

http://hondakarma.com/threads/386/

The sliders were as dry as a bone on all four brakes, there was some black material caked on the end of the front sliders that I took off with wet and dry, most of the pads were more or less stuck fast in situ with no apparent movement whatsoever, and the handbrake pads were adjusted too tight and binding inside the drum on both brakes. So no wonder I was getting all these brake binding noises and issues every now and again.

Conventional forum wisdom seems to be that if the brakes bind the solution is to go out and buy a caliper or a brake hose (super-duper F1 braided variety with go-faster stripes in Ferrari red)...but I suspect all that is needed a lot of the time is an unglamorous clean-up and lube.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    Primarycare, Ichiban and AccordCU2 like this.
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Amazing how elbow grease and good cleaning give good results and save money:GoodJob:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lol I had a hearty laugh at that Cliff, When I and Zoran were doing the Jazz we had a similar seanrio of discs not budging. The solution was the trusty hammer and rotating the disc quarter turns until it came off . The discs were so heavily corroded it was like welded on. The hammer marks on the inside rendering it useless. It all about routine strip ,clean and lube and stock brakes are perfect for normal street use. i hardly use brakes it engine braking I trust and believe in.

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hammer is a very powerful and useful tool :Rolf:.That disc on Jazz did come off in the end with bit of help from trusty hammer.
    Only tool Jeremy Clarkson knows how to use:Crazy:

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup there was a pattern back then even Honda had recommending various greases , now they gave dropped all of them and now say use the M77 grease. Rubber grease may be good for saving the rubber boots but they do a useless job for the sliders.

6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I'll be doing my brakes in about a months time all being well and if I ever get any time!. Hopefully mine will be easier though.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Paul you must be doing some crazy hours mate .. is there light a the end of the tunnel?

8. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hopefully soon mate. Off tomorrow and then got 7 days on in a row but then go on holiday the following day. Trying to get a few things sorted before holiday. Hopefully things will settle a bit when back (although back at work the following day after I get back). Hey Ho!

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am sure the holiday will recharge your batteries :Thumbup:

10. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hi guys,

Is this the same disc set up on a saloon? I am going to do mine and although my rears are not to bad I am going to swap the lot all together.. In for a penny..

I thought the hand brake worked off the rear caliper is that right?

Ta

11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It does on the 6th Generation but on the 7th the handbrake is a drum brake inside the rear disc.

12. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The 7th Generation saloon rear setup is different to the tourer. The handbrake is operated via the calipers, the tourer has the drum in disc setup.

13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ah right, thanks Rob.

14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Ok, that sounds like fun. Might do the fronts myself and ask Honda to sort the rears and clean them up for me then. I have a very poor track record with drums :-(

I did the rear pads a while ago as they were dire and had to fit Pagid which need to be binned as soon as, please don't buy these they are amazingly poor quality pads. Going to get from the guys recommended on this site as their prices for a main dealer were very competitive!

Cheers

Sorry just seen that reply, thats what I thought - they looked much like the audi vdub set ups I have been used to. Good stuff no need to take to dealer to fit then. Well going to have to wait untill my back is sorted anyway.

Again thanks

Last edited: Wednesday 16th May, 2012
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Come on guys post your picture we need to see it

:Need Pics: