Suspension, Steering and Brakes Braking issues - judder

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nauest, Thursday 27th Aug, 2015.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Hi Everyone,

Just got back after my tour of Europe with the Accord. Its been great! It has been suffering from very slight judder under braking for a little while.
    However just today off the ferry it got really serious, even with light braking it gave some serious wheel wobble. I stopped and inspected everything amd discovered my front right rotor was far hotter than the rest. After letting it cool I set off again Then about 10 mins later the wobble came back under braking, then a few seconds later dissappeared again and was gone for the rest of the journey. Its quite an intermittent problem! No VSA or ABS lights.

Thoughts so far on causes:
    Damaged rotor
    Sticking caliper
    Brakeforce distribution problem (although it never pulled to one side)
    Loose steering geometry

Any thoughts on the issue appreciated!

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

What do you mean by 'rotor'?

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I believe he means brake disc.

nauest likes this.
  4. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Could be a pad is worn down almost to the metal. They can get very close to metal-on-metal (metal backing of the pad rubbing on the disc/rotor) but without any squealing, then suddenly it becomes a graunching noise, when you really do have metal-on-metal.

If you take the wheel off you can see both pads. If one pad (or both) is almost down to the metal, check the pads on the other wheel. If those are ok, then the worn pad(s) are a symptom of a seized caliper.

Nels likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :whathesaid:

6. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I mean the brake disk, as mentiined above. Sometimes called rotors.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I had a full new set of pads and disks about 6k ago, all 4 pads look basically new.

I will take off my wheels and calipers and have a closer look!

7. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You only need to look at the thickness of the pads, which you can only do properly if you remove each wheel. If all four pads on the front wheels are the same thickness, then it must be something else. I would then recommend that you take it back to the place that replaced the discs and pads.

I have had brake judder like this in the past (not on Hondas), once due to pads nearly down to the metal, and once due to cheap pads that did not wear properly

8. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Ok I think I have found the issue, the O/S front was sticking and overheating. On inspection the pads still have tons of material on (more than 8mm) but the piston boot was punctured and the piston is ungreased and covered in rust.

Might go caliper repair kit pr Probs a whole new caliper.

DSC_0298.JPG

9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

that looks horrible :eek:

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good job you found that. It's been rusting for quite a while.
    If the piston is that rusty, the cylinder probably is too. I'd change both. Better to be safe when it comes to brakes.

11. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I completely agree, no expenses spared on brakes so a brand new caliber is on the way to me tomorrow. I think I am confident this is the issue though!

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Must be. The judder was the piston not retracting, but I would have thought you'd get much more wear than the other side.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm fairly sure it is too. There's a great guide on here by @Ichiban about regular brake maintenance. If you follow it, you won't have any of these issues.
    I can't remember which gen it's on, but the process is the same. I'll dig it out for you.

nauest likes this.
  14. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I have checked, the brakes were only changed about 6 k ago, and there is about a mm of different between nearside and offside. Its only got really seized yesterday so hopefully the pads will be ok for a while.

jimjams likes this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

nauest likes this.
  16. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I will take the opportunity to do a full clean and grease of the old side as well. Iv got silicone but will probably get some brake specific grease for the non rubber parts.

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Are you only changing the one side?

18. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    For now yes, budget not quite allowing changing the good calliper. I have given it a good once over and its in good condition. The bad one seems to have been damaged by a stone or a rogue mechanic hence the rust.

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Fair enough, but I would change the other one as soon as you can.

nauest likes this.
  20. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Don't worry, I am not one for not changing pairs! Not usually at least....Drop links, bushes, driveshafts, tires, always usually do the pair!

Nels likes this.