General Brand New - Legend's in the UK ?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Hudson, Saturday 20th Aug, 2016.

1. Hudson New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Logan Manchester
    Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening,

I am looking for a luxury saloon which when new cost a lot (£40,000 in the uk ) but due to poor MPG and high road tax costs (£500 a year) now means the Legend is going for a small city car money. I was originally looking at a late as possible Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.2 but they do suffer from a ' few ' issues when it comes to reliability and they do have a rust problem on the rear arches (they were only ever 70% galvanised), so i have discovered the Legend.... it has all the Elite has and some more as well, it also has better build quality and i assume will not rust so easily, so am i missing something ? I only travel around 6000 miles a year so having a diesel makes little sense, the RFL is high but i guess its the price to pay for a premium car for what is cheap money.

There are a few about but nothing local, are they what i think...... i have seen one with just over 60,000 miles on and it looks nice with full history, what else do i need to check has been done and if its not done would it put you off buying. I have bought the original hardback brochure from ebay (very impressive and it must of cost Honda a fortune to produce), so i can find out exactly what it has and does not have, at the moment it appears to have lots of toys and ticks a lot of my boxes. Any advice ?

2. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've just PM you some info
    - - - Updated - - -
    Take one for a test drive - you'll get the feel of it - they are very rare

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    They are a fantastic car indeed. As @vincemince says go for a test drive in one, see what you think, I sure you will love it !

They are fairly rare so you have to a little patient when looking for one.

4. Hudson New Member Getting Started

I agree on the rare.... i have yet to see one on the road.... ever ! At least i see a handful of Elites most years. I will look at the best of the lot in terms of miles and service history with overall condition, there is a cheap blue one down in Tooting (London) but it has done 113,000 miles and has a private plate on so finding out the service history is proving difficult. I will look over all the posts and get an idea of what too look for, i am really drawn to the Bose sound system as well, i had one in an Elite i used to have and really did notice the difference between it and the standard system. Thanks

5. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Captain East Sussex
    Hi Hudson. Just buy one, I doubt you will be disappointed. I've had mine for 9 months and completed 12000 trouble free miles in it, including a 3000 mile trip to Naples in Italy. A task that really enables the true qualities of the Legend to become evident. If you check my post in the thread entitled "Legendary Holiday" on here, I guess that should tell you all you need to know.

I adore this car, any time spent driving it is the best part of my day. It is a very high quality car, in a different league from the Elite you mention, but I understand your enthusiasm as I used to own an Opel Monza. The Honda engine has three notable parts to it's charachter. Up to 3000 RPM it's all soft and smooth and does just about everything around 1500 RPM. At 3000 to 5000 RPM, there is a lovely area of strong torque that shoves you down the road pushing you progressively into the seat. At 5000 upwards it starts to howl, in a very gentlemanly way, but for a 2 ton car is bloody quick and really good fun for a luxury saloon. For maximum shove you need to use the tiptronic manual gearshift, this enables you to keep the engine in the V-Tec zone, and the induction howling noise is addictive. Just writing this makes me want to go out for a blast right now.
    Economy is not great, but it's the wrong car if you want economy. I commute 32 miles a day on quite congested A roads, I average between 26 and 27.5 MPG driven carefully. At 24 MPG, you can do a lot of squirting around and enjoying yourself. Very short journeys will trash the economy, but on a motorway at 70/80, 30mpg is quite normal. But it's difficult to maintain the discipline for me as I need regular infusions of V-Tec, because it makes me grin and laugh out loud. You'll love it.

legend-ary and vincemince like this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I actually saw my first KB1 today at Asda Charlton. Was it anyone from here ? Looked amazing in deep blue sort of colour.

7. Hudson New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the info Captian Trumpy, i think this is the one, finding one is the issue now, there are just so few to choose from.

8. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Do keep us updated on how you get on Hudson. Try to get one with decent tyres, cheap ones make too much noise, the Legend is very quiet and poor tread patterns will spoil the experience. I have found Good Year Excellence to be very quiet.

9. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Ledge (can I call you this?) Better than Leg anyway:Grin:.

I suspect that was my old school mate who lives in Charlton. Often seen parking by Vanburgh Castle for walking his dog in Greenwich Park. A very good place to see Honda's is next to and around Car Phone Warehouse area in the Argos/Pets at Home/McDonald's car park next door to Asda's

Phil

Last edited: Thursday 25th Aug, 2016
    legend-ary likes this.
  10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Haha its legendary!
    I see. Yeah there used to be a car meet every now and then at the middle of night but after a racing session it all got banned. I actually do see plenty of 8th Generation Accords in that area but will try and keep and eye t see what else comes up :Smile: thanks for the tip.

11. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ichiban likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That would equate to 6k landed with all the fees?

13. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mmmm, looks tasty in white.

What's that Honda Access box in the photos?