General Breakdown Cover + European?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave, Saturday 25th Aug, 2012.

  1. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    I really need to get some breakdown cover taken out in the next few months, I would like a policy that includes European cover as well. I had policies for over 5 years on the Civic and never used them once (good old petrol reliability) but I have to say I don't have as much faith in the diesel (although its not let me down once in 246k miles/2 years i've owned it).

    So whats peoples experiences/who are you using and are they any good and cheap?
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    Hi Dave
    I am currently insured with Chris Knott and have breakdown+European cover through them for 88£.
    Used to have AA but always had to pay extra for European on the top of UK one.
    Never used breakdown before and hope its stay that way.
  3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

    Currently with Green Flag but I hear Asda are also worth a look.
  4. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    I've had RAC and had to pay extra for Euro cover, Kwik Fit seem fairly reasonable at £58 for a year.... Asda just quoted me £130.
  5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

  6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    Thats what I thought!
  7. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    I have my recovery with my insurance on my green laner Disco through Premium choice, it covers me for any vehicle that I'm in, driver or passenger, plus 30 days European cover, price = £59/annum.
    So ask your insurance if they do any sort of package.
  8. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

    You can get RAC through Tesco using clubcard points. I got personal breakdown cover for £19 for the year, covers me in any car, basic roadside only though.
    I always tend to take a single trip european policy with Tesco, usually £35.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but my breakdown cover is up for renewal in April.

    As I have two cars, I need personal cover.

    Looking for Home Start, Roadside and Recovery. Don't need European cover, just UK.

    RAC are quoting £130 (!) for my renewal (£75 last year after a bit of a haggle) but they won't play ball this year. The AA will sort it for £100, which RAC will match this year they say.

    KWIK FIT are the best price at £48. Anybody used them on here - good or bad feedback welcomed.

    Others that seem to have good prices for what I need are 'AutoAid' and ''

    Least competitive is Green Flag...they want £160!!!!!!

    WTF? Looking online it is because I'm going for personal, and they are better with car specific. Seems mad to me, but ho hum.
  10. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

    United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Hi fella
    Have a look at Start rescue been with them for the last five years my renewal was £38 for my Accord, used them on my previous car a couple of times can't fault them fast responce, recovery very fast with no limits.

    FirstHonda likes this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

    £73.22 for Start Rescue to cover what I need, just did a quote on their site.
  12. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    As my post above, first try your insurance. Also my son has breakdown cover with "rescue my car" for £24 / annum, they also do personal cover, must be worth asking for a quote.
  13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

    Rescue my car quoted £47.15 for what I need, which is very competitive.

    I'm with Admiral insurance, on a multi-car policy. They are usually very competitive, but I just called them to get a quote to add breakdown for both my cars including recovery and at home.

    Their quote...£380.64 for the year :Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:

    'Do you want to proceed with our quote, Sir?' I had to try hard not to laugh at them...
  14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

    United Kingdom London
    I have standard breakdown and relay with AA, the good thing about them is their cover is now unlimited callouts, unlike some others, unlikely you will ever need one on a Honda mind. :sparta:
  15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    Don't know if this will help but my daughter banks with the Halifax and she has an account that gives her AA cover , mobile cover and also home emergency repairs. I think a lot of banks do this sort of thing now. May be worth checking to see what the cost would be.
  16. Adrian Flux Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    Dan Norfolk
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

    I've ended up renewing for another year with the RAC this morning - the reason...?

    Well, I got a letter from Green Flag on Saturday promising to provide the same level of cover (car based cover rather than personal cover) for half the price of either the AA or RAC, as long as I had my renewal notice to prove how much I was paying.

    So, I went onto the Green Flag website and keyed in the details they provided, and the price was significantly lower than either the RAC renewal or even the AA 'new member' price - it wasn't actually half-price as I want personal cover as I have two cars (it would have been half-price if I had just wanted to cover my CR-V). Even so, going with Green Flag would have saved me £60. God only knows why their 'standard' website quoted me £160 initially, that just seems like madness!

    Before I pressed the button, I decided to call the RAC - as I would need to cancel my renewal with them anyway - and guess what...after no more than 5 minutes on the 'phone with them, they had matched the Green Flag price, so I renewed with them.

    Time taken - 5 minutes. Money saved - £60. That seems like a fair trade...

    Nels likes this.
  18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    United Kingdom .
  19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

    Yes, I saw them when I did my original search - I'm just not sure about paying then having to claim back.

    As the end of the day, I guess I just prefer being with one of the 'big boys' and getting it at a big discount makes the decision even easier :Smile:
  20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    United Kingdom .
    I only buy breakdown recovery because my wife insisted. For years I didn't bother and took the view that if anything happened and I needed recovering then I'd either get a friend to tow me home (if I was not too far away) or take the hit on paying for the recovery from my own pocket.

    Similarly, I've never had contents insurance on the house - I've saved enough over the decades to simply buy whatever gets damaged or stolen (not that any of our belongings are particularly valuable). Never bought car insurance while living in New Zealand either, as their version of 'road tax' gives you automatic state-run third party cover (which also results in lots of teenagers with high-performance cars... central Christchurch was a race track for the 'hoons' late at night!). But PPI seems like a good idea?