Electrical & Lights Bricked sat nav?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Galgo, Friday 26th Jun, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I sent my drive off to have the laser replaced on it. When I got it back, the problem of it not working when the engine starts was still there.

I did once manage to get it going (pure luck). Tried doing a force download on it, and now it's stuck on this screen:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435332743.219536.

I've disconnected the -ve battery lead, unplugged/re plugged the power lead to the back of the unit 3 times, still no joy.

I'm just wondering if there's a PCB issue with it? I'm guessing I've probably bricked this drive now. I can't get rid of that message shown on the screen.

2. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think I might strip the unit down tomorrow and check for dry solder joints and dodgy capacitors.

Dunno why I bother putting the dash trim back on, I've removed this sodding drive so many times lol

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    In no uncertain terms, I agree it sounds buggered :Laughing: At this point it's definitely worth ripping it open and having a nosey yourself.

I went through this too trying to sort my Pre-Facelift drive woes :Frown:

4. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah definitely.

I've already spent £140 getting the lens/mechanism replaced, so it would be good if I could find out WTF is causing this weirdness with my drive.

I do think it's something PCB-related though; the lens was just a separate issue that got fixed. That drive sure gets hot after a while of use, so I'd be surprised if something didn't get cooked inside of it after 11 years. I remember having to get an ABS unit from my previous car reflowed/soldered because of the same issue, and that was a similar age too.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well my thoughts are that all Pre-Facelift drives die from the lens issues, but other issues aren't nearly as common. It might be worth grabbing another drive, shoving your new laser in and seeing how you get on.

Though of course, that's more investment. I do think it sounds like a PCB issue too, potentially a blown cap.

6. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland jimmy1973 Ballymena
    I could be wrong, but that looks like it was doing a firmware update, says not to shut down engine, therefore meaning not to turn the unit off until the update is completed. If the power was turned off before the update was complete it could brick the unit. Have you tried inserting a new updated DVD with maps etc to see if it will sort it?

7. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It looks like there are bad solder connections on the legs for the power and data cable connectors:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435435008.145286.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435435023.485217.

(Apologies for photo quality, took the pics with my phone camera)

Going to remove the PCB and check out what's going on underneath, especially with the legs to those caps.

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Definitely looks like a few well dried joints there, fingers crossed that's the issue and a simple fix.

Galgo likes this.
  9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mm Where did you send it to get the laser replaced?
    I sent mine to CHS and bought their service of ebay. They were very good as I had issues with mine when it was returned. They let me send it back for re testing and had it for a week until they were happy it was fine?

Can you not return it to who ever replaced the laser?

It could well be dry joints like you say but difficult to tell without seeing the under side of the pcb.

Cheers

10. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's who I used. They won't or can't help as all I've paid them for is to change the lens part. I don't think they are the sort of place that do soldering repairs.

Anyway I've done some re flowing on the board, still got some more to do but it's taking a while as I'm juggling that around work and looking after my son.

The underside of the PCB looks fine btw, just seemed to be dry joints at the top.

Will check the million and one surface mount components with my multimeter when I'm done soldering in case I need to replace anything like power caps.

11. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mm Did they not give it a full test before returning it to you? They should have.

They did with mine but I had a problem with it not reading discs when it was returned I sent it back and they tested it for a week doing hot starts cold starts as they have a sat nav ariel on their roof.

They helped me diagnose a faulty antenna on my car.

If they changed the laser/lense they should have given it a full test before returning it to you. Their work has a 3 month guarantee.

I do hope you fix it after spening all that money. It could be the dry joints?? keep us posted!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Did the unit power up with just the ignitoin on but go off when the engine started?
    Or did it not power on at all without some fiddling? Could it be a wiring loom issue in the car?

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    To me that looks like a firmware problem, not a hardware problem.

Nels likes this.
  13. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well it's still broken after re flowing...

I've decided to just give up on this drive and go down the aftermarket head unit route. I've already spent too much money on it and there has to be a cutoff point really.

Oh well worth a shot, at least I gave it a go at repair anyway.

@tonygw yeah he said they did. The lens isn't the issue as it no longer comes up with that dvd read error like before. So from his point of view the repair they did worked.

Feeling a bit gutted but s**t happens as they say.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Ah man, problem is with most of the aftermarket head units - they just look naff.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

16. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I did think it was a long shot fixing the dry joints, from experience I didnt think the solder joints looked to bad as the lack of solder was on areas with no connections. Didnt look great but I've seen a lot worse.

Shame it didnt work though. If you simply can't get it to work even if its a firmware issue then:-

If I was you my next action would be look out for a second hand unit with a faulty laser pick up. I have seen them before on ebay.

Then transfer the mechnism from yours (with the new laser) into the faulty unit and bingo a working sat nav. As you seem pretty handy at electronic work etc

Cheapest option I reckon. You need one simply displaying disc read error as thats the ones with the faulty laser pick up.

I searched on ebay for the model number and honda sat nav there are often plenty on there, faulty ones shouldnt be more than £20 I rekon.

Good luck.
    - - - Updated - - -
    A quick search, (more than I thought but hey...

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  17. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks all.

I think I'll have to weigh up my options and see what to do. In some ways I feel like this "premium" sound system I've got is a curse. If I want to fit an aftermarket head unit, I'd have to work out how to use the car's amp so that I can use all the factory speakers including the sub in the boot. I phoned Autoleads earlier and they said there's no aftermarket harness that works with it; i.e. I'll have to do some wiring/splicing/soldering myself and attack the factory looms.

If I buy a replacement drive, there's no guarantee it'll work or even that the seller knows what version of the maps/firmware it uses (I've only got the original v2.0).

Another option is to 'downgrade' to a non-navi screen, but a PSS model with the 6-disc in-dash changer like on my navi one. That way, I could save radio stations and have full control of my HVAC system. Not too keen on this option because I won't have a screen for my reverse camera setup if I ever get to doing it after messing around with this DVD drive stuff.

Argh! :Frown: I am going to make sure my next car doesn't have integrated HVAC controls like this one. Of course, that'll probably mean I move away from Honda...
    - - - Updated - - -
    (sorry for my rant btw - just properly fed up with it all now)

18. nemiers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland
    Sorry that it is broken, but I could buy this one from you, if you let it go cheap, for some windows or android integration project :Smile:

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham