General British motoring journalism at its finest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Wednesday 20th Apr, 2016.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Once again anything Japanese and not German is simply not good enough to be at the top because...well...its not german!

This is a review of the new Prius, a talented and great all round car, even gets a good review, but at the end of the day no matter how good it is, it will always be below the Germans for no real reason apart from not being German. :facepalm:

Here sthe conclusion:

RogerH69 likes this.
  2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Sorry to say this, but I don't put much faith in the views of most motoring 'journalists'.

exec likes this.
  3. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just look at Chris Evans. You hear nothing but bad vibes about the new Top Gear series.

exec likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Unfortunately, people are more interested in a badge and the stigma attached to it rather than the quality of a particular product regardless of how good it is, or how bad the badge is in comparison. Its that perception of believing to succeed within society by aligning with set stigmas

I am much happier seeing a Japanes badge on my steering wheel. couldn't care less about having a "prestige" brand. Personally, I would put a Lexus, an Infiniti or a Legend above any german mainstream marque.

John Dickson, exec, RogerH69 and 2 others like this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I don't give two hoots about what they say either, but your average Joe do and go by these reviews and they probably have an effect on actual car sales. When a journalist writes in a review a VW is better than a Toyota because its German and its VW, ultimately this has an effect on the perception of the brand in the minds of the reader, am not gonna lie sometimes it even gets into my head! But then when you sit in you realise what the hell is all the fuss about.

Like someone I know is looking to buy a car, they looked at the 9th Generation Honda Civic and liked it, but ended up getting an Audi because it was just a little bit more expensive but it was an "Audi" so might aswell go with the Audi, well because its Audi. *sigh* :Ermm:

I think one day we might end up with just four manufacturers in the UK (BMW, Merc, Audi, VW), especially as 3 of the mentioned have essentially become mainstream with a broad range, and then two or three budget car brands. The market share of Japanese brands, bar Nissan, are really really poor, I don't know how they can sustain that in the long term, I hardly ever see any new Japanese cars on the road apart from the Qashqai.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

How many people who buy a Mercedes E-Class in the UK realise that in Germany it is the taxi cab of choice? Prestige? Premium? Hardly...

I know somebody who for many years had BMWs and Audis. He once told me that he wouldn't consider a Honda because the interiors were 'cheap and nasty.'

Thing is, he'd never really looked at one - he based his view on an outdated perception and press reviews.

This is a good news story though. He did end up looking properly. He now drives a Honda. Goes to show...

Nighthawk, MickyB and exec like this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Most E Class in the UK are also Taxi's! I would estimate 90% of E Class in London are all posh taxi's everyone I see are anyway. They are premium though, I mean they are far nicer inside than say your Octavia's or Avensis cabs.

Also I never get the Honda's "cheap & nasty" inside, Honda's have actually always been the best or one of the best interiors out of the mainstream manufacturers, there is very little different inside of an Accord in comparison to say an A4 in feel, my bro in law has a 10 year old A4, and the only way its better than my 17 year old Accord is some of the finishing and construction methods are abit more modern, otherwise materials etc all soft touch and good quality and Honda's have actually always carried a premium in their price as a result of the higher quality and engineering!

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    They forgot to factor in the price for the car as well.. Prius starts at what 23k will they mind telling us prices of their 'better because of badge' cars?

i3 - £29,950
    Golf TDI? - which is not even a Hybrid so lets take GTE which is Hybrid - £31,495
    A3 eTron - £29.950 after £5000 Govt Grant

Prius? £23,395 so what are they on about?

It is like oh you want a two bed flat? sure here is one for 100k which is your budget but you know what there is a better one, you will love it .. how much? oh don't worry about it .. it is just £50k over your budget.

exec likes this.
  9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Laughable really, they put the i3 at top, the i3 is a heavily compromised, expensive shyte that looks like a scribbling of a 5 year old drawing his first car, probably why its struggling to sell. The Prius, as much as I dislike it is in my opinion the best all round hybrid car you can get, it does bit of everything well, has well proven & reliable drivetrain and is great value for money. The new one has been massively improved and re-engineered in many ways, at 23k its a bargain. If it had a VW badge we would be endlessly hearing what an innovative, forward thinking and edgy looking car it is.

MickyB and legend-ary like this.