Suspension, Steering and Brakes Broke the brake caliper slider pin.

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Friday 6th May, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Big thanks to @Pottermus for sourcing me some new genuine brake caliper slider pins.

20160506_185643. Sadly though upon removal of the old pins I managed to completely sheer off the top of the bolt head, which was a big woops. 20160506_185346.
    I then tried to drill a hole in what was left of the pin and use an easy out tool (reverse thread tool) and managed to snap that in the hole as well. Bugger!

So currently have the car sat on an axle stand, in gear with the wheels chocked, so it's not going anywhere.
    20160506_185405.

Got my sister to give me a lift to the scrap yard tomorrow in the hopes they have a car that I can get one off.

Pottermus and Ichiban like this.
  2. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    So annoying when that happens, took about 2 days to get a lower strut bolt out of my car, piece by piece.
    Same with the ball joint, maddening!

Wish you luck in getting fixed up soon.

Harvey likes this.
  3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It certainly is, almost had the same issue on the other side 2 years ago when I did the brakes last. Was siezed solid, but was able to get that out without snapping it.

My dad us gonna try some heat on it at work, but I don't hold much hope.

BB Baboonface likes this.
  4. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Fingers crossed for you bud.

Harvey likes this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Unlucky mate, I stripped the caliper bolt on mine few years back as I turned it the wrong way round! Fortunately it didn't effect anything and was able to drive around until replacement caliper pins arrived.

Hopefully you can get a new arm or whatever there called from the scrappied.

Harvey likes this.
  6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

bugger. I know what you mean about stripped bolts, not fun at all. I was umming and aaahing over ordering just the slider pins, or the whole caliper bracket and pins. In hinde sight, I should have ordered the whole bracket.

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I would imagine a new bracket will be quite pricey, considering how much I paid for the pins itself, think it was £50. Although you can buy aftermarket ones for £18. Hopefully the scrappie will show up with something.

Guess its a good idea to strip everything and give service at least once a year to stop them seizing up.

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@exec the pins that I just got where a lot less than £50 thanks to Holdcroft Honda. In fact they where a lot less than £30. The list price for the caliper bracket is £66 and they come with new pins anyway. However with the HK rates at HH it I suspect will be a lot less than that. Hope I don't have to order a new one, but if I do, I will.

exec likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @Pottermus must have been a good mood to get you a set , normally he is souring milk for England or Stoke FC .

10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's abit mean @Ichiban. He's a very nice gentleman who is only too obliging.

11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good news!
    Dad managed to get what was left of the slider pin out of the caliper bracket, 20160507_124311.
    So then I installed the new slider pins into place with a good amount of the provided silicone paste, so now they slide like they should. 20160507_125318.

Then back into the car it all went.

20160507_125806. 20160507_130222. 20160507_130654.
    With of course some copper grease on the sliding parts of the pads, as they are supposed to be.

And finally the wheel back on and back onto the ground. 20160507_131028.

Nels, exec, Nighthawk and 2 others like this.
  12. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Woo hooo! Glad you got it sorted bud.

Fiskekutteren and Harvey like this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Great Job Harvey, how did you dad get it out in the end?

Only ting I would say is use ceratec grease on the pad for lubrication, copper grease can play up the ABS sensor should it make its way up to it.

Harvey likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Must have been in a good mood normally is default is moody cow-r-us

Harvey likes this.
  15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its what I had to hand and what I could get locally at the time mate. I've never had a problem with copper grease just to lube the pads before.

Dad had to heat the bracket up until it was cherry red. and he tack welded a bar onto the end of the pin and hit it with a hammer. Came out though.

Now I've got to put the pins in the passenger side as I didn't get time to finish that this weekend due to other things, make sure that side is all lubed up and soon will replace the brake pads as they are worn unevenly due to being stuck, plus think they might be glazed a little.

exec likes this.
  16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A further update to this thread. I completed the swapping out of the slider pins on the passenger side, but the bad news was that the passenger rear brake caliper was siezed up, so that was also part of my problem of none functioning handbrake.

Got on the HH, and ordered a brand new replacement, which worked out about £12 more for a genuine new caliper than a refurbished one from a motor factors.

So got on and fitted that. 20160611_110640. 20160611_110653. 20160611_110859. 20160611_113051.