Body, Paint & Styling Broken door handle

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Chunkylover53, Tuesday 18th Feb, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For the past year it has been sticking, and requiring a few pulls to actually open the door but today my heavy handed mate yanked on the handle like his life depended on it and I heard something fall on the inside of the door.

As title says, the rear driver side door handle no longer opens the door. Is it an easy fix/how do you fix it?

Thanks guys

2. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

is it a 6th Generation ?

3. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

just checked your profile :Wink: and it is ha ha. Im afraid there is no easy fix the bit that you heard falling off has broken off the door handle.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah that's peak - I'll probably head to the local dealer and see if they can do anything about it. How much does labour cost to fit a door?

5. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Which door was it ? not sure about labour.

6. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

All you need is a new handle !

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I guess but I wanted to replace two other doors which were dented and I got a quote of £50 per door. Could be a better option seeing as the same door electric window is a bit dodgy at times

8. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Was it one of the rear doors on which the handle broke ? if so did you have the child lock on ? only reason for asking is because I've had the same issue :Frown: I had the child lock on and the only way to get the door open was to take the door card off partially and release the lock from the inside.

Last edited: Wednesday 19th Feb, 2014
  9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The child lock is definitely off because that's what I suspected initially. The door opens from inside perfectly and looking at the service guides for this chassis it is actually a hard job plus I have no idea what could be broken or just loose. I'm going to ask a dealer to take a look soon but I'm not willing to spend much. For some reason this issue is really pissing me off, probably because it's the first thing to break that shouldn't do so. Anyway if you know anybody based around Canterbury kent pls let me know. Thanks.

10. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm in South wales so I wouldn't know anyone in your area lol what has happened is ......... In the door there is a metal bar that runs from the catch mechanism to the the door handle and is connected to the handle by a plastic loop type bit and that loop bit has broken off the handle which is what you heard falling inside the door. I had exactly the same symptoms as you did where at first the door got more and more difficult to open and then one day (Christmas morning to be exact) I pulled the handle a little too hard and I heard something fall off and drop inside the door. There is a guy I know who provides a exchange and repair service for £30 where you send him the door handle and the piece that has broken off and he sends you an already repaired handle but he is on another forum I'm on and you would have to take your current handle off and put the repaired on back in. Not sure if the handles are ATR specific though as that's what he deals with.

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Considering you don't want to spend much money and you're possibly replacing the door anyway whats stopping you from removing the door card yourself and seeing what's broken. The door card will only be held on by a few clips and screws it won't be hard at all to do. It might be easier to fix than you imagine once you can see the problem.

12. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The piece circled is what has broken/snapped off because it's made from plastic !

Attached Files:

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

is this what i have to take a look at? - then buy the part rhys mentioned above?

shot.

Ichiban likes this.
  14. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Its only the actual handle you need nothing else. The bit that broke off is or was connected to the the outer handle rod.

15. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

if you go to the lings honda parts site and look at the rear door lock bit it will be items 23 or 34 but at £75 a pop that is rather expensive which I didn't realise unless you can find one second hand or just do what you said and buy a new door ! At that price I wouldn't blame you if you chose the new door route.

16. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll note down the product codes and give HH a call, they'll hopefully source it cheaper. Thanks for all your help mate.

17. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

No problem mate im just passing on infomation that i picked up on a different forum.You might want to input your own cars details on the website just to check that they are the same as I was going off the details on my car but I can't imagine there would be any difference in the rear handle on your car.

18. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yup I got the same diagram. For what its worth I gave the local dealership a call, after waiting 5 mins during which they couldn't find a single piece of service history on my car they said it will cost £70 for labour and £50 for parts. But there is also a diagnosis fee of £60 which really threw me off them. Anyway I'm gonna take a look at it myself when my mid term exams are over. Thanks for your help.

19. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

F#@k paying that much !!! definitely have a go at doing it yourself :Wink: taking the door card off is pretty simple only 3 screws to take out if my mind serves me correctly and the rest is all clips. You'll also need to take the window winder off to take the card off completely which is difficult to explain on how to do as it doesn't just simply come off ! there is apparently a horseshoe type clip behind the winder that has to come off first before the handle will come off. When I tried I couldn't find it so I never got round to taking the whole door card off. I have been told that a hooked tool or something similar is the best thing to use to get in between the winder and the card and to pull off the clip. I'll find a pic later to show you what to look for.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  20. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For time being I devised a pretty simple solution. I tied a piece of string on the inside handle and routed through to the side of my seat so I just have to tug at it to open the door, better than nothing eh!