Body, Paint & Styling Broken Glovebox

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by DutchFRV, Monday 30th Sep, 2013.

1. DutchFRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello,

The glovebox of my Honda FR-V (2.0 Executive, 2005) is broken. I cannot open it anymore. The only method to open that works is with a screwdriver

I looked on Honda for parts, but they're selling only the complete glovebox. Does anyone know if it's possible to disassemble the glovebox (remove the front), to repair just the broken part? Add if it's possible, how I can disassemble it?

Johan

glovebox.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you checked you have not locked the glove box with the key?

3. DutchFRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, I checked that. And I can hear something rattling inside it...

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That must be the return spring which has come out .. I will see on the WSM is there is a repair method for you mate.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Johan,

Since you have already got the glove box off and your car being a LHD car try to remove the cylinder lock barrel and see if everything is in place and working. once you have removed the lock see if the glove box open and closes.

follow this guide.
    :Wink:
    1. Insert a hooked shaped tool in under the knob (A) while pulling it, and pull the top of the retainer (B) out of the slot (C).

NOTE: Do not remove the retainer entirely. Leave the other side of it in the original position when removing and installing the lock cylinder.

FRV AOCUK Glove Box Lock Cylinder 1 LHD.

• Remove the glove box lock cylinder (A).

FRV AOCUK Glove Box Lock Cylinder 2 LHD.

• Reinstall the top of the retainer (A) in the original position, then reinstall the lock cylinder (B).

• Push the cylinder into place securely until the retainer snaps into place.

FRV AOCUK Glove Box Lock Cylinder 3 LHD.

Please keep us posted.:Thumbup:

Princepugh likes this.
  6. DutchFRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you very much! I'll let you know if it works.:Smile:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. DutchFRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I took the cylinder out, but with same results. I've got also the broken part out of it. See the photo....

part.

Is there maybe a way to remove the front of the box?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is the latch I am correct? what do you mean when you say the front of the box in what context ?

On the parts catalogue you can order a replacement barrel for your current key but that latch mechanism is not a part sold along with it:Frown:

10. DutchFRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wondered if I can remove the front A of the rest of the glovebox B.

removefront.

And if I can´t repair, is the only option to buy a complete new glovebox?

Last edited: Tuesday 8th Oct, 2013
  11. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there
    My neighbours FR-V (we both have FRVs!) has also broken. I know what you mean about separating the front panel from the glove box. I read somewhere that it may be possible to warm the unit it up in the oven, to make the glue soft, to separate it. I think that they were talking about a headlight unit, which was from a Japanese bike, and it was quite a low temp. I could probably find it if you wanted to give it a go.

The other thing may be to drill a hole from inside the glovebox behind the mechanism and once repaired, use a grommet to blank it off.

Let us know how you get on.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can you please reinsert the image using this guide http://hondakarma.com/threads/1898/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  13. DutchFRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Done.

@garf8v: thanks, I think the second option is the best. Putting it in the oven doesn't attract me...

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  14. DutchFRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

:Wink: :Smile:

Last edited: Tuesday 22nd Oct, 2013
  15. DutchFRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fixed it :Thumbup:

Drilled a hole on the backside. After that I made a construction with a button (from a spoke). Connected the wire to the unlocking mechanism.

open.

button.
    Thanks for the help.

Johan

Last edited: Tuesday 22nd Oct, 2013
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its a solution how much was a new glove box lid in belgium costs?